Gospel of Judas Excerpts Online urls

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 7, 2006
      As posted by Richard Wilson on Jim West's Biblical Studies List:

      I imagine that someone posted soemthing like this earlier perhaps, but
      just so anyone interested can get a read before the National Geographic
      special I thought I'd post some links. You can read the English
      translation of excerpts from the Gospel of Judas here (along with a
      short discussion of its provenance and evaluation:

      http://www.tertullian.org/rpearse/manuscripts/gospel_of_judas/

      or get and read the .pdf of the excerpts from the New York Times here:

      http://www.nytimes.com/packages/pdf/national/judastxt.pdf

      which is linked on their page discussing the Gospel of Judas here:

      http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/06/science/06cnd-judas.html?hp&ex=1144382400&en=d58e9f87384d906d&ei=5094&partner=homepage
    • Roger Pearse
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 7, 2006
        What NYT called 'excerpts' has turned out to be the complete English
        text. The Coptic text appeared first at the National Geographic
        site: sometime today the 'complete English translation' appeared on
        the same page as a link beneath it, and is identical to the
        NYT 'excerpts'. My page of stuff has links to everything, and an
        HTML-ised version of the English text.

        Given that National Geographic have so responsibly put the text and
        translation at the disposal of the world, I sort of feel that those
        of us interested should reward this behaviour by buying their book
        version, which, after all is only a measly $22! It doesn't seem to
        be available in the UK, tho, yet.

        All the best,

        Roger Pearse

        --- In crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey B. Gibson"
        <jgibson000@...> wrote:

        > As posted by Richard Wilson on Jim West's Biblical Studies List:
        >

        > I imagine that someone posted soemthing like this earlier perhaps,
        but
        > just so anyone interested can get a read before the National
        Geographic
        > special I thought I'd post some links. You can read the English
        > translation of excerpts from the Gospel of Judas here (along with
        > short discussion of its provenance and evaluation:
        >
        > http://www.tertullian.org/rpearse/manuscripts/gospel_of_judas/
        >
        > or get and read the .pdf of the excerpts from the New York Times
        here:

        > http://www.nytimes.com/packages/pdf/national/judastxt.pdf
        >
        > which is linked on their page discussing the Gospel of Judas here:
        >
        > http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/06/science/06cnd-judas.html?
        hp&ex=1144382400&en=d58e9f87384d906d&ei=5094&partner=homepage

      • smithand44
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 8, 2006
          --- In crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com, "Roger Pearse" <roger_pearse@...>
          wrote:

          > Given that National Geographic have so responsibly put the text and
          > translation at the disposal of the world, I sort of feel that those
          > of us interested should reward this behaviour by buying their book
          > version, which, after all is only a measly $22! It doesn't seem to
          > be available in the UK, tho, yet.

          Well, you might hold off until their next book. I pre-ordered both
          books through Amazon, assuming that one was the scholarly edition, and
          the other the popular edition. As it turns out, The Gospel of Judas,
          which I assumed was the scholarly edition, doesn't even contain the
          Coptic text. The Lost Gospel : The Quest for the Gospel of Judas
          Iscariot contains a book-length account of the text's "discovery" and
          the dubious provenance and academic politics surrounding it, but it
          doesn't even have an English translation. Instead, the final chapter
          paraphrases the gospel of Judas, presumably in the hope that readers
          will buy the volume containing the English translation. Still, these
          two must be more worthwhile than James T. Robinson's book, which seems
          to based on him having been in the next room to the Gospel of Judas a
          couple of decades ago. It's interesting material, but we should have
          been given the Coptic text, English translationa and commentary in a
          single book.

          Best Wishes

          Andrew

          Andrew Phillip Smith