Re: [XTalk] re: Greek fonts

  • Jim West
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 4, 2006
      At 03:20 PM 3/4/2006, you wrote:

      > >Yes- if each list person used utf-8 as their default mailer font and
      > >their mailer were capable of reading utf-8, we could all see greek and
      > >no one would have to bother with dreadful, sometimes incomprehensible
      > >transliteration.
      > >
      > >Jim
      >
      >I don't really appreciate the tone of this comment, which seems
      >patronizing. (I apologize in advance if I am reading this tone into your
      >words.) The point is that many subscribers receive their e-mail from XTalk
      >in many different ways, and what works for you may not work for others.

      Sorry if you took it amiss Bob. I can assure you that it was simply
      meant as for information purposes only.

      >I do appreciate your identification of unicode utf-8 as a factor, but that
      >knowledge did not really help me. I do not read e-mail online, but with an
      >email client (Eudora Pro) which is excellent for most purposes.

      I used to use eudora but stopped precisely because it doesn't use unicode.

      >For the sake of helping others who may have trouble with Greek fonts in
      >XTalk messages, here is another solution that worked for me, and might work
      >for others. I right-clicked on the body of the message and chose "view
      >source". This views the message using Notepad, and Greek fonts are
      >displayed appropriately. I found out that one can even cut and paste the
      >Greek text from Notepad back into the message in my e-mail program (in edit
      >mode) where I was able to save it.
      >
      >Given the wide range of media used on this list, I view it as legitimate to
      >write on the list about methods to facilitate use and display of Greek
      >texts for the benefit of those who may not yet have figured out how to do
      >it yet.

      That's exactly why I thought it important to note thunderbird. It's
      free. It works on PC and Mac, and it handles unicode. If everyone
      on list used it- it would make transliteration unnecessary as well as
      making all cut and paste and other added steps.

      Best

      Jim

      Jim West