Re: [XTalk] re: Greek fonts

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 4, 2006
      At 09:28 AM 3/3/2006, Jim West wrote:

      >John E Staton wrote:
      > > I can confirm that Mozilla Thunderbird does cope marvelously with this
      > > Greek font. It's amazing, I normally have problems with people composing
      > > their e-mails in HTML, but this came out very well indeed. I only had
      > > trouble with the font when it was quoted in *some* other people's messages.
      > >
      > > Best Wishes
      >
      >Yes- if each list person used utf-8 as their default mailer font and
      >their mailer were capable of reading utf-8, we could all see greek and
      >no one would have to bother with dreadful, sometimes incomprehensible
      >transliteration.
      >
      >Jim

      I don't really appreciate the tone of this comment, which seems
      patronizing. (I apologize in advance if I am reading this tone into your
      words.) The point is that many subscribers receive their e-mail from XTalk
      in many different ways, and what works for you may not work for others.

      I do appreciate your identification of unicode utf-8 as a factor, but that
      knowledge did not really help me. I do not read e-mail online, but with an
      email client (Eudora Pro) which is excellent for most purposes.

      For the sake of helping others who may have trouble with Greek fonts in
      XTalk messages, here is another solution that worked for me, and might work
      for others. I right-clicked on the body of the message and chose "view
      source". This views the message using Notepad, and Greek fonts are
      displayed appropriately. I found out that one can even cut and paste the
      Greek text from Notepad back into the message in my e-mail program (in edit
      mode) where I was able to save it.

      Given the wide range of media used on this list, I view it as legitimate to
      write on the list about methods to facilitate use and display of Greek
      texts for the benefit of those who may not yet have figured out how to do
      it yet.

      Bob

      Robert M. Schacht, Ph.D.
      University of Hawaii
      Honolulu, HI

    • Jim West
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 4, 2006
        At 03:20 PM 3/4/2006, you wrote:

        > >Yes- if each list person used utf-8 as their default mailer font and
        > >their mailer were capable of reading utf-8, we could all see greek and
        > >no one would have to bother with dreadful, sometimes incomprehensible
        > >transliteration.
        > >
        > >Jim
        >
        >I don't really appreciate the tone of this comment, which seems
        >patronizing. (I apologize in advance if I am reading this tone into your
        >words.) The point is that many subscribers receive their e-mail from XTalk
        >in many different ways, and what works for you may not work for others.

        Sorry if you took it amiss Bob. I can assure you that it was simply
        meant as for information purposes only.

        >I do appreciate your identification of unicode utf-8 as a factor, but that
        >knowledge did not really help me. I do not read e-mail online, but with an
        >email client (Eudora Pro) which is excellent for most purposes.

        I used to use eudora but stopped precisely because it doesn't use unicode.

        >For the sake of helping others who may have trouble with Greek fonts in
        >XTalk messages, here is another solution that worked for me, and might work
        >for others. I right-clicked on the body of the message and chose "view
        >source". This views the message using Notepad, and Greek fonts are
        >displayed appropriately. I found out that one can even cut and paste the
        >Greek text from Notepad back into the message in my e-mail program (in edit
        >mode) where I was able to save it.
        >
        >Given the wide range of media used on this list, I view it as legitimate to
        >write on the list about methods to facilitate use and display of Greek
        >texts for the benefit of those who may not yet have figured out how to do
        >it yet.

        That's exactly why I thought it important to note thunderbird. It's
        free. It works on PC and Mac, and it handles unicode. If everyone
        on list used it- it would make transliteration unnecessary as well as
        making all cut and paste and other added steps.

        Best

        Jim

        Jim West