Re: [XTalk] re: Greek fonts

  • Jim West
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 3, 2006
      John E Staton wrote:
      > I can confirm that Mozilla Thunderbird does cope marvelously with this
      > Greek font. It's amazing, I normally have problems with people composing
      > their e-mails in HTML, but this came out very well indeed. I only had
      > trouble with the font when it was quoted in *some* other people's messages.
      >
      > Best Wishes

      Yes- if each list person used utf-8 as their default mailer font and
      their mailer were capable of reading utf-8, we could all see greek and
      no one would have to bother with dreadful, sometimes incomprehensible
      transliteration.

      Jim

      --
      Jim West

      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 4, 2006
        At 09:28 AM 3/3/2006, Jim West wrote:

        >John E Staton wrote:
        > > I can confirm that Mozilla Thunderbird does cope marvelously with this
        > > Greek font. It's amazing, I normally have problems with people composing
        > > their e-mails in HTML, but this came out very well indeed. I only had
        > > trouble with the font when it was quoted in *some* other people's messages.
        > >
        > > Best Wishes
        >
        >Yes- if each list person used utf-8 as their default mailer font and
        >their mailer were capable of reading utf-8, we could all see greek and
        >no one would have to bother with dreadful, sometimes incomprehensible
        >transliteration.
        >
        >Jim

        I don't really appreciate the tone of this comment, which seems
        patronizing. (I apologize in advance if I am reading this tone into your
        words.) The point is that many subscribers receive their e-mail from XTalk
        in many different ways, and what works for you may not work for others.

        I do appreciate your identification of unicode utf-8 as a factor, but that
        knowledge did not really help me. I do not read e-mail online, but with an
        email client (Eudora Pro) which is excellent for most purposes.

        For the sake of helping others who may have trouble with Greek fonts in
        XTalk messages, here is another solution that worked for me, and might work
        for others. I right-clicked on the body of the message and chose "view
        source". This views the message using Notepad, and Greek fonts are
        displayed appropriately. I found out that one can even cut and paste the
        Greek text from Notepad back into the message in my e-mail program (in edit
        mode) where I was able to save it.

        Given the wide range of media used on this list, I view it as legitimate to
        write on the list about methods to facilitate use and display of Greek
        texts for the benefit of those who may not yet have figured out how to do
        it yet.

        Bob

        Robert M. Schacht, Ph.D.
        University of Hawaii
        Honolulu, HI

      • Jim West
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 4, 2006
          At 03:20 PM 3/4/2006, you wrote:

          > >Yes- if each list person used utf-8 as their default mailer font and
          > >their mailer were capable of reading utf-8, we could all see greek and
          > >no one would have to bother with dreadful, sometimes incomprehensible
          > >transliteration.
          > >
          > >Jim
          >
          >I don't really appreciate the tone of this comment, which seems
          >patronizing. (I apologize in advance if I am reading this tone into your
          >words.) The point is that many subscribers receive their e-mail from XTalk
          >in many different ways, and what works for you may not work for others.

          Sorry if you took it amiss Bob. I can assure you that it was simply
          meant as for information purposes only.

          >I do appreciate your identification of unicode utf-8 as a factor, but that
          >knowledge did not really help me. I do not read e-mail online, but with an
          >email client (Eudora Pro) which is excellent for most purposes.

          I used to use eudora but stopped precisely because it doesn't use unicode.

          >For the sake of helping others who may have trouble with Greek fonts in
          >XTalk messages, here is another solution that worked for me, and might work
          >for others. I right-clicked on the body of the message and chose "view
          >source". This views the message using Notepad, and Greek fonts are
          >displayed appropriately. I found out that one can even cut and paste the
          >Greek text from Notepad back into the message in my e-mail program (in edit
          >mode) where I was able to save it.
          >
          >Given the wide range of media used on this list, I view it as legitimate to
          >write on the list about methods to facilitate use and display of Greek
          >texts for the benefit of those who may not yet have figured out how to do
          >it yet.

          That's exactly why I thought it important to note thunderbird. It's
          free. It works on PC and Mac, and it handles unicode. If everyone
          on list used it- it would make transliteration unnecessary as well as
          making all cut and paste and other added steps.

          Best

          Jim

          Jim West