Re: [XTalk] Jesus the Homeowner?

  • Karel Hanhart
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 3, 2006
      Mark,

      Re. Mark 1,29, 2,15. Isn't it true that Mark likely told his story of Jesus
      from the perspective of his own ecclesia around (70 or) 72? As I see it he
      wants to explain and anchor the existence of their own
      ecclesia-next-to-the-synagogue in their city (Rome? Alexandria?) in a
      perceived original context of Jesus' ministry. In 1,29 the 'house' appears
      to be located almost next door to the synagogue. This need not have been the
      case in ecclesia's in the diaspora, but ideologically they were akin all
      the same. In short, shouldn't we translate oikia in 1,29 and 2,15 against
      its Hebrew/Aramaic background as 'house of learning' - bet ha-midrash?
      Jesus had apparently been confronted in 1,23 by what Mark calls an un-kosher
      spirit, upsetting the community in Capernaum. Aside from the question what
      that exorcism was all about, it resulted in the fame of Jesus and his
      'didache kaine' spreading quickly (1,27). The immediate result was the
      formation of the 'house of Simon, Andrew, James and John' in Capernaum near
      the 'sea'. Their house it seems to me was perceived as the nucleus of all
      later ecclesia's in Rome, Alexandria, Antioch, Ephesus, Corinth etc. They
      were situated somewhat like a Methodist meeting hall next to the Anglican.
      Church. Isn't the same translation in order for 2,15? The 'house of
      learning' of Levi of the mysterious 'Halphaios'?

      cordially,

      Karel