Re: [XTalk] Croy and Mark's Ending (Schacht)

  • Rikk Watts
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 17, 2006
      > As is always the case with epics, there is more outside the Iliad than
      > in it.

      Ah yes, Ted, a canon fundamental to all hermeneutical endeavors, including
      the reading of Mark I venture. No text is an island...

      Rikk Watts (Cantab)
      Regent College, Vancouver

      (so why would Mark who, as is now generally agreed, is so fundamentally
      influenced by the book of Isaiah want to end on a word about fear? It
      wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that Isa 40ff itself says quite a
      bit about fear would it? You know, urging Israel on the verge of deliverance
      and yet confronted by enormous obstacles and especially powerful and hostile
      nations not to be afraid? I wonder if for Roman Christians that might be a
      consideration)