Olson Re: [XTalk] Question on Croy and Mark's Ending (Carlson)

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 16, 2006
      At 12:04 PM 2/16/2006, Ken Olson wrote:
      >On February 16, 2006, Stephen C. Carlson wrote in response to my opening
      >post in this thread:
      >SC: >>Well, by definition, Paul's death did not take place during Paul's
      >lifetime. If we remove the limitation of Paul's lifetime (I'm not sure why
      >it is there), the predicted destruction of the temple is never narrated in
      >Luke & Acts. Aside from that, how many predictions are there in Acts to
      >begin with?<<
      >KO: I seem not to have made the context of the question clear here. Gundry
      >and Croy argue that it is Mark's habit to narrate the fulfillment of
      >Jesus' predictions if those fulfillments occurred during 'Jesus' time on
      >earth'. Gundry gives as an example the fact that Mark has Jesus tell two
      >disciples to go into the city where a man with a jar of water will meet
      >them and then they will be shown an upper room in Mk. 14,13-15, and then
      >narrates the fulfillment of this in the following verse (Gundry, p. 1009).
      >Thus, it would be against Mark's habit to end at 16.8, without narrating
      >Jesus' promised appearance to the disciples. . . .

      One example makes a "habit"? I don't think so!
      How many fulfillments do they adduce in support of this argument?

      >SC>>: I think that this reasoning might be so strong as to justify any
      >possible ending.<<
      >KO: And I think that your counter-argument is so broadly stated that it
      >does not really engage with the specific argument I made. The resurrection
      >of Jesus, though it is not narrated in Mark's gospel, nor any other
      >canonical gospel, does take place within Mark's gospel and is reported by
      >the young man at the empty tomb. The text also suggests that the women see
      >the empty place where Jesus had been laid. Contra Croy et al. I do not
      >think 16.8 brings the resurrection report in 16.6 into doubt. God has done
      >his part. . . .

      Agreed. It is important not to read too much into the text. The famous
      trifold prediction in Mark is simple:
      [9:] 31 for he was teaching his disciples, saying to them, "The Son of Man
      is to be betrayed into human hands, and they will kill him, and three days
      after being killed, he will rise again." [//8:31; 10:34]
      All three versions are the same with respect to the last phrase, which is
      precisely fulfilled in 16:6:
      6 But he said to them, "Do not be alarmed; you are looking for Jesus of
      Nazareth, who was crucified. He has been raised; he is not here. Look,
      there is the place they laid him.

      Of course, we want to know more than that! We have been trained to want to
      know "the rest of the story."

      Robert M. Schacht, Ph.D.
      University of Hawaii
      Honolulu, HI