Re: [XTalk] Help on Polycarp and Ananias of Shirak

  • Roger Pearse
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 11, 2006
      Many thanks indeed! I will hunt this down and place it online.

      All the best,

      Roger Pearse

      --- In crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com, goranson@... wrote:

      > Apparently Conybeare's translation "On Christmas" appeared
      > in Expositor in 1896, 5th. series, 4: 121-137.
      > (Perhaps Cumont's book reprinted some earlier articles,
      > so was not up to date on this?)
      >
      > This according to Robert H. Hewsen, "Science in
      > Seventh-Century Armenia: Ananais of Sirak," Isis
      > v.59 no.1 (Spring 1968) 32-45 (here 33 n.5). [S in
      > Sirak has a caret] P. 45 "Discourse on Christmas,"
      > with a Polycarp reference, is said to be about the
      > dates of Christmas and Epiphany in the Armenian
      > calendar, differing from other calendars.
      >
      > best,
      > Stephen Goranson
      > http://www.duke.edu/~goranson
      >
      > Quoting Roger Pearse <roger_pearse@...>:
      >
      > > Is there anyone reading this who is familiar with a supposed
      > > citation from Polycarp in the 7th century Armenian writer,
      Ananias
      > > of Shirak? I came across a reference to it while looking at F.
      > > Cumont, "Textes et Monuments" (Mithras), vol. 1, p. 355 (1899).
      > >
      > > Cumont also says that F.C.Conybeare has done an English
      translation
      > > of it (which he has seen), which will appear 'soon' in The
      Expositor.

      > > I looked through all the issues of the Expositor from 1899 to
      1905,
      > > without finding it. I did find two works of Ananias, translated
      by
      > > FCC, in Byzantinische Zeitschrift 6, but these do not contain the
      > > passage. I think the work may be "On Epiphany" or something like
      > > that, but I don't have anything here that even mentions the
      writer
      > > or the text.
      > >
      > > Can anyone offer anything on this passage, and where it might be
      > > found and, (if possible) where I can find this translation?
      > >
      > > Many thanks,
      > >
      > > Roger Pearse
      > >
      > > The XTalk Home Page is http://ntgateway.com/xtalk/%5b1]
      > >
      > > To subscribe to Xtalk, send an e-mail to:
      > > crosstalk2-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
      > >
      > > To unsubscribe, send an e-mail to:
      > >
      > > List managers may be contacted directly at:
      > > crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com

      > > Historical jesus[2] Beyond belief[3]
      Christianity today[4]
      > > Mere christianity[5]

      > > Service[8].

      t=ms&k=Historical+jesus&w1=Historical+jesus&w2=Beyond+belief&w3=Chris
      tianity+today&w4=Mere+christianity&c=4&s=88&.sig=jdvS-
      jlduIWYokV3Ul7j1A
      > > [3]
      > > http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
      t=ms&k=Beyond+belief&w1=Historical+jesus&w2=Beyond+belief&w3=Christia
      nity+today&w4=Mere+christianity&c=4&s=88&.sig=PRZaGy-53S81wUsfjCT2Zg
      > > [4]
      > > http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
      t=ms&k=Christianity+today&w1=Historical+jesus&w2=Beyond+belief&w3=Chr
      istianity+today&w4=Mere+christianity&c=4&s=88&.sig=gUB1PVMB5Ggzi6ybPV
      -6Mg
      > > [5]
      > > http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
      t=ms&k=Mere+christianity&w1=Historical+jesus&w2=Beyond+belief&w3=Chri
      stianity+today&w4=Mere+christianity&c=4&s=88&.sig=ctyEs8znv201GmPOMWz
      16w
      > > [6] http://groups.yahoo.com/group/crosstalk2
      subject=Unsubscribe