Help on Polycarp and Ananias of Shirak

  • Roger Pearse
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 10, 2006
      Is there anyone reading this who is familiar with a supposed
      citation from Polycarp in the 7th century Armenian writer, Ananias
      of Shirak? I came across a reference to it while looking at F.
      Cumont, "Textes et Monuments" (Mithras), vol. 1, p. 355 (1899).

      Cumont also says that F.C.Conybeare has done an English translation
      of it (which he has seen), which will appear 'soon' in The Expositor.

      I looked through all the issues of the Expositor from 1899 to 1905,
      without finding it. I did find two works of Ananias, translated by
      FCC, in Byzantinische Zeitschrift 6, but these do not contain the
      passage. I think the work may be "On Epiphany" or something like
      that, but I don't have anything here that even mentions the writer
      or the text.

      Can anyone offer anything on this passage, and where it might be
      found and, (if possible) where I can find this translation?

      Many thanks,

      Roger Pearse