Re: [XTalk] Luigi Cascioli - the fable of Christ

  • Brian Trafford
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 6, 2006
      Amazon.com claims from the back cover of __For the Temple_, by
      G.A. Henty:

      "Young people across America are rediscovering G. A. Henty, the 19th
      century literary genius whose historical adventures inspire boys to
      honesty, courage, diligence, and duty. Writing from a Christian
      perspective, Henty weaves the adventures of a *fictional boy hero*
      (John of Gamala) together with real-life events. His stories are as
      accurate as they are exciting, so children get important lessons in
      history which they remember long afterward. Just as important, these
      lessons come without the immoral overtones of modern novels."
      http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/product-description/1890623075/ref=dp_proddesc_0/103-1122779-2753410?%5Fencoding=UTF8&n=283155

      It appears that Henty made this character up for his children's story.
      Jewish Wars 4.1 by Josephus does describe the siege of Gamala, though
      I do not recall there being a John of Gamala in it. Jewish Wars 4.2
      tells us of a John, son of Levi, in the town of Grischala, so perhaps
      this is the man Cascioli is actually thinking of, though I do not know
      how he could be connected to the historical Jesus.

      Brian Trafford
      Calgary, AB, Canada

      --- In crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com, "John J. L. Jacobs" <JJLJacobs@...>
      wrote:

      > Is anyone of the listers familiar with Luigi Cascioli - the fable of
      Christ. He makes a lot of claims in the European press, because of a
      trial against a pastor of the Roman Catholic Church in Italy. His
      website is http://www.luigicascioli.it/home_eng.php

      > In brief Cascioli states:
      > JOHN THE NAZARENE.
      > We have seen how the Zealots were changed into pacifist disciples
      by transforming their names (the revolutionary Barjona, into son of
      Jonah, the murderer Iscariot into a native of Kerioth, the zealot
      Qananite into a resident of Cana etc.). Now we shall discuss the
      falsifying that the Christians carried out on John to make him become
      Jesus.
      > THE NAME: The name John, replaced with the generic names of Christ
      (Kristos meaning Anointed) and Lord, was finally changed to Jesus in
      about the year 180 as shown in a book written by Celsus against the
      Christians which said: "The one you gave the name Jesus to was really
      just the head of a band of bandits. The miracles ascribed to him were
      just manifestations of magic and esoteric tricks. The truth is that
      all of those premises made are nothing but myths that you yourselves
      have fabricated without however managing to give your lies any
      credibility. Everyone knows that what you have written is the result
      of continual rewriting following criticism that you have received".
      (quote from http://www.luigicascioli.it/prove2_eng.php ).

      > To me, Cascioli's method raises the possibility that is work is
      pseudoscience, but I am not an expert in the field of theology. So may
      be one of the X-talkers can comment on this with more scientific
      background.