[XTalk] Luigi Cascioli - the fable of Christ

  • John J. L. Jacobs
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 5, 2006
      Is anyone of the listers familiar with Luigi Cascioli - the fable of Christ. He makes a lot of claims in the European press, because of a trial against a pastor of the Roman Catholic Church in Italy. His website is http://www.luigicascioli.it/home_eng.php

      In brief Cascioli states:
      JOHN THE NAZARENE.
      We have seen how the Zealots were changed into pacifist disciples by transforming their names (the revolutionary Barjona, into son of Jonah, the murderer Iscariot into a native of Kerioth, the zealot Qananite into a resident of Cana etc.). Now we shall discuss the falsifying that the Christians carried out on John to make him become Jesus.
      THE NAME: The name John, replaced with the generic names of Christ (Kristos meaning Anointed) and Lord, was finally changed to Jesus in about the year 180 as shown in a book written by Celsus against the Christians which said: "The one you gave the name Jesus to was really just the head of a band of bandits. The miracles ascribed to him were just manifestations of magic and esoteric tricks. The truth is that all of those premises made are nothing but myths that you yourselves have fabricated without however managing to give your lies any credibility. Everyone knows that what you have written is the result of continual rewriting following criticism that you have received". (quote from http://www.luigicascioli.it/prove2_eng.php ).

      To me, Cascioli's method raises the possibility that is work is pseudoscience, but I am not an expert in the field of theology. So may be one of the X-talkers can comment on this with more scientific background.

      Thank you very much,

      John

      ***

      Dr John J. L. Jacobs

      http://www.geocities.com/jjljacobs
      http://www.vmwo.nl
      http://www.cancerimmunotherapy.net
      http://www.geocities.com/edipathology
      http://bijbel.eigenstart.nl
      http://www.groenrondballetje.nl

    • Brian Trafford
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 6, 2006
        Amazon.com claims from the back cover of __For the Temple_, by
        G.A. Henty:

        "Young people across America are rediscovering G. A. Henty, the 19th
        century literary genius whose historical adventures inspire boys to
        honesty, courage, diligence, and duty. Writing from a Christian
        perspective, Henty weaves the adventures of a *fictional boy hero*
        (John of Gamala) together with real-life events. His stories are as
        accurate as they are exciting, so children get important lessons in
        history which they remember long afterward. Just as important, these
        lessons come without the immoral overtones of modern novels."
        http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/product-description/1890623075/ref=dp_proddesc_0/103-1122779-2753410?%5Fencoding=UTF8&n=283155

        It appears that Henty made this character up for his children's story.
        Jewish Wars 4.1 by Josephus does describe the siege of Gamala, though
        I do not recall there being a John of Gamala in it. Jewish Wars 4.2
        tells us of a John, son of Levi, in the town of Grischala, so perhaps
        this is the man Cascioli is actually thinking of, though I do not know
        how he could be connected to the historical Jesus.

        Brian Trafford
        Calgary, AB, Canada

        --- In crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com, "John J. L. Jacobs" <JJLJacobs@...>