Re: The Mini-Synoptic

  • Chris Weimer
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 17, 2006
      Ken,

      1. Just three things. As Ben pointed out to me, his main qualm was
      that there is no more information in that Tacitean passage than
      could be found in the Josephan passage. I don't know what that says to
      you, but if it was another source, then Tacitus by mere coincidence
      used just enough information to match Josephus here.

      2. He also mentioned that the Old Church Slavonic manuscript of
      Josephus has the TF in "Wars" and not "Antiquities." That could attest
      to both a) the location of the TF being out of place (due to who knows
      what) and b) that Tacitus apparently uses "Wars" but not "Antiquities".

      3. I also questioned, and still do, his paralleling "exitiablilis
      superstitio" with "didaskalos anqrwpwn twn hdonh talhqh decomenwn".
      His justification was that Josephus refers to those receiving are
      gullible, something I do indeed doubt.

      best regards,

      Chris Weimer
      University of Memphis