Re: [XTalk] ent-

  • Tony Buglass
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 6, 2005
      Jim wrote:
      ent is an inseperable preposition and can take a whole range of
      meanings. For instance, ent gegensehen means "look forward to" with
      ent being the "to" portion of the festivities. entstehen = originate.
      and multiple other examples could be adduced which show that "re" is
      not necessarily the best translation.

      I didn't say that "re" was the best translated prefix, but that
      "entmythologisierung" is best rendered "de-mythologisation". In terms of
      what Bultmann actually said he was doing in "Jesus Christ and Mythology",
      I'd clarify it by saiying that de-mythologisation is the necessary first
      step in re-mythologisation (I don't know which German term he actally used,
      but I'd offer "wiedermythologisierung"). I suggest the examples you give
      above support my case for the root meaning of ent - entgegensehen is looking
      forward to something *from* the present, and that is the force of the
      prefix; entstehen means to originate because that which is originated
      "stands from" its source. Entfernen means "to remove or withdraw from", and
      entlaufen means "to run away from" - which is what I will do now before our
      moderator rebukes me for drifting offtopic.

      Entschuldigung, bitte! (That means "sorry", as in "away with guilt" in the
      sense of the Greek "aphiemi"). I'll shut up, now.

      Cheers,
      Rev Tony Buglass
      Superintendent Minister
      Upper Calder Methodist Circuit