RE: [XTalk] Digest Number 1848

  • Bill Skelton
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 25, 2005

      > I'm interested in knowing a//bout other Jesus novels. People have listed
      > already Theissen's _In the //Shadow of the Galilean_ and Rice's new
      > novel. Are there others tha//t listers have either read or heard of?
      > I'm interested in literary on//es, as opposed to pulpy or popular
      > treatments (of the _Left B//ehind_ and _DaVinci Code_ variety), but in
      > reality I'm all ears.

      Zeb,

      Well worth the read, if not altogether a Life of Jesus type thing, is
      Mikhail Bulgakov's political and religious satire "The Master and
      Margarita". The plot switches back and forth from a surreal account of the
      Passion to the Devil working hilarious, if creepy, mischief against early
      Bolsheviks and others in Moscow. For my part the Passion stuff was
      uninteresting but if one is looking for an original take on the latter,
      this is it.

      Bill Skelton
      NYC