Jesus Novels

  • Zeba Crook
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 22, 2005
      Dear List,

      I'm interested in knowing about other Jesus novels. People have listed
      already Theissen's _In the Shadow of the Galilean_ and Rice's new
      novel. Are there others that listers have either read or heard of?
      I'm interested in literary ones, as opposed to pulpy or popular
      treatments (of the _Left Behind_ and _DaVinci Code_ variety), but in
      reality I'm all ears.

      Cheers,

      Zeb

      -----------------------------
      Z.A. Crook
      Assistant Professor, Religion
      Carleton University
      1125 Colonel By Drive
      Ottawa, ON, K1S 5B6
      613-520-2600, ext. 2276
      www.carleton.ca/~zcrook
    • Lee Edgar Tyler
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 22, 2005
        Zeba Crook wrote:

        >Dear List,
        >
        >I'm interested in knowing about other Jesus novels. People have listed
        >already Theissen's _In the Shadow of the Galilean_ and Rice's new
        >novel. Are there others that listers have either read or heard of?
        >I'm interested in literary ones, as opposed to pulpy or popular
        >treatments (of the _Left Behind_ and _DaVinci Code_ variety), but in
        >reality I'm all ears.
        >
        >Cheers,
        >
        >Zeb

        Nikos Kazantzakis, /Last Temptation of Christ/

        Walter Wangerin, /Jesus, A Novel/

        D. H. Lawrence, /The Man Who Died/

        Shusako Endo, /A Life of Christ/

        Anthony Burgess, /Man of Nazareth/

        Norman Mailer, /The Gospel According to the Son/

        Gore Vidal, /Live from Golgotha/

        Jose Saramango, /The Gospel According to Jesus Christ/

        Jim Croce, /Quarantine /(just about the 40 day Temptation in the Wilderness)

        I believe that the first Jesus novel is William Ware's /Julian: or
        Scenes in Judaea/ (1841)

        Hope this helps,

        Ed Tyler
      • Steff Seven
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 22, 2005
          Dear Zeb,

          I think Jeff Peterson might have already mentioned Shusaku Endo's The Life
          of Jesus. There is another book by Elmar R Gruber and Holger Kersten, The
          Original Jesus (both co-authors of The Jesus Conspiracy "fame" and probably
          not quite what you are looking for ... but you said you are "all ears").
          They claim to offer "convincing proof of extensive Buddhist influence on the
          life and teachings of Jesus..."

          Best wishes,

          Stephanie Fisher
          New Zealand

          I'm interested in knowing about other Jesus novels. People have listed
          already Theissen's _In the Shadow of the Galilean_ and Rice's new
          novel. Are there others that listers have either read or heard of?
          I'm interested in literary ones, as opposed to pulpy or popular
          treatments (of the _Left Behind_ and _DaVinci Code_ variety), but in
          reality I'm all ears.

          Cheers,

          Zeb

          -----------------------------
          Z.A. Crook
          Assistant Professor, Religion
          Carleton University
          1125 Colonel By Drive
          Ottawa, ON, K1S 5B6
          613-520-2600, ext. 2276
          www.carleton.ca/~zcrook

          http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/.1VolB/TM

          List managers may be contacted directly at: crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups
          com

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Horace Jeffery Hodges
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 22, 2005
            For what it's worth, Johnny Cash wrote a novel about
            St. Paul, and partly about Jesus (I gather, not having
            read it):

            http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0062501356/104-4021284-9527911?v=glance&n=283155&s=books&v=glance

            Johnny Cash, Man in White

            But you're probably not looking for this sort of book.

            Jeffery Hodges

            University Degrees:

            Ph.D., History, U.C. Berkeley
            M.A., History of Science, U.C. Berkeley

            Email Address:

            jefferyhodges@...

            Blog:

            http://gypsyscholarship.blogspot.com/

            Office Address:

            Korea University
            136-701 Anam-dong, Seongbuk-gu
            Seoul
            South Korea

            Home Address:

            Sehan Apt. 102-2302
            Sinnae-dong 795
            Jungrang-gu
            Seoul 131-770
            South Korea
          • Mark Goodacre
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 22, 2005
              To Ed's list also add Nino Ricci's Testament. My copy arrived
              recently, which I ordered on your recommendation, Zeb. I am looking
              forward to reading it. See also Par Lagerkvist's Barabbas, which won
              a ?Nobel prize, I think, and which was subsequently turned into a film
              starring Anthony Quinn as Barabbas. Larry Kreitzer has a chapter on
              it in the first of his film books.

              I just picked up at the SBL the new volume Scandalizing Jesus, a
              series of essays devoted to Kazantzakis's Last Temptation. What I've
              read of it so far is pretty good; it even has a short essay by Martin
              Scorsese (and some of the essays are on the film rather than the
              book).

              Mark
              --
              Mark Goodacre Goodacre@...
              Associate Professor

              http://NTGateway.com/goodacre
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 23, 2005

                Zeba Crook wrote:

                > Dear List,
                >
                > I'm interested in knowing about other Jesus novels.  People have listed
                > already Theissen's _In the Shadow of the Galilean_ and Rice's new
                > novel.  Are there others that listers have either read or heard of?
                > I'm interested in literary ones, as opposed to pulpy or popular
                > treatments (of the _Left Behind_ and _DaVinci Code_ variety), but in
                > reality I'm all ears.

                To add to what others have sent:

                Sholem Ashe  _The Nazarene_
                Robert Graves _King Jesus_
                Frank Yerby _Judas, My Brother_
                Lew Wallis _Ben Hur_

                And there is a novel entitled (I think) _Pilate_  by an author whose name escapes
                me.

                Sleepily,

                Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)

                1500 W. Pratt Blvd. #1
                Chicago, IL 60626

                jgibson000@...

              • Edward Rapka
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 23, 2005
                  Z.A. Crook asks:

                  >I'm interested in knowing about other Jesus novels.....literary ones

                  I'd recommend "King Jesus" by Robert Graves. Dated but well
                  researched. Interesting reviews on Amazon.com if you want to check
                  them out.

                  Edward Rapka
                • Zeba Crook
                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 23, 2005
                    Thank you very much to everyone who has replied to my querie, on and off
                    list. You've been a great help.

                    Zeb

                    --

                    Zeba A. Crook

                    Assistant Professor, Classics and Religion

                    Carleton University

                    2a54 Paterson Hall

                    1125 Colonel By Drive

                    Ottawa, Ontario

                    K1S 5B6

                    http://www.carleton.ca/~zcrook/ <http://www.carleton.ca/%7Ezcrook/>

                  • Asegal@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 23, 2005
                      Hi Zeba,

                      There's a famous short story called "How Klaes died" which you might find
                      interesting.

                      Then there's Scholem Asch's The Nazarene.

                      I just heard about a novel called _The Sins of Jesus_ by Richard Muller.
                      It's described as "an historical novel of a human Jesus who uses deception to
                      persuade that he teaches truth." Haven't read it. Let me know what you think
                      if you do.

                      Best,

                      Alan

                      In a message dated 11/23/2005 2:41:12 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                      zcrook@... writes:

                      Thank you very much to everyone who has replied to my querie, on and off
                      list. You've been a great help.

                      Zeb

                      --

                      Zeba A. Crook

                      Assistant Professor, Classics and Religion

                      Carleton University

                      2a54 Paterson Hall

                      1125 Colonel By Drive

                      Ottawa, Ontario

                      K1S 5B6

                      http://www.carleton.ca/~zcrook/ <http://www.carleton.ca/%7Ezcrook/>

                      _Click Here!_ (http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/.1VolB/TM)

                      List managers may be contacted directly at: crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                      Alan F. Segal
                      Professor of Religion
                      Ingeborg Rennert Professor of Jewish Studies
                      Barnard College, Columbia University
                      3009 Broadway
                      219 Milbank Hall
                      New York City NY 10027-6598

                      asegal@...
                      asegal@...

                    • Paul (Tanks) James
                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 24, 2005
                        Here is the Pilate Novel by Paul L. Maier:

                        http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0825432960/002-2609213-0932069?v=glance&n=2
                        83155&v=glance

                        HTH

                        Paul

                        ---
                        Paul (Tanks) James Yahoo Messenger paul_l_james
                        http://homepage.ntlworld.com/p.l.james/
                        "Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is
                        unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." - Nigerian saying

                        > I'm interested in knowing about other Jesus novels.  People have listed
                        > already Theissen's _In the Shadow of the Galilean_ and Rice's new
                        > novel.  Are there others that listers have either read or heard of?
                        > I'm interested in literary ones, as opposed to pulpy or popular
                        > treatments (of the _Left Behind_ and _DaVinci Code_ variety), but in
                        > reality I'm all ears.

                        To add to what others have sent:

                        Sholem Ashe  _The Nazarene_
                        Robert Graves _King Jesus_
                        Frank Yerby _Judas, My Brother_
                        Lew Wallis _Ben Hur_

                        And there is a novel entitled (I think) _Pilate_  by an author whose name
                        escapes
                        me.

                        Sleepily,

                        Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)

                        1500 W. Pratt Blvd. #1
                        Chicago, IL 60626

                        jgibson000@...

                        crosstalk2-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                        List managers may be contacted directly at:
                        crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com

                        Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • Chrystian Boyer
                        Message 11 of 17 , Nov 24, 2005
                          > I'm interested in knowing about other Jesus novels... I'm all ears.

                          There's a very good novel in French: Eric-Emmanuel Schmitt, L'évangile
                          selon Pilate [The gospel according to Pilate], Paris, Albin Michel,
                          2000, 282 p.

                          The novel is divided in two parts. In the first one, Jesus is about to
                          be arrested and is thinking about what he've done... and he's
                          doubting... The second part takes place after the death of Jesus and
                          it's now Pilate who's thinking about what he've done... The tomb have
                          been found empty, and it's Pilate's turn to doubt...

                          Less "philosophical", and also in French: Gerald Messadié, L'homme qui
                          devint Dieu [The man who became God], Paris, Robert Laffont, 1988, 611 p.

                          A very "secular" life of Jesus with harmonizations and rationalist
                          interpretation of miracles in the fashion of the "Lifes of Jesus" of
                          the end of 19th century. And a lot of anachronisms, and some funny
                          hypothesis. But worth the reading.

                          Regards,

                          Chrys
                        • Tony Buglass
                          Message 12 of 17 , Nov 25, 2005
                            Of course, there are the classics by Lloyd C Douglas - "The Robe" and "The
                            Big Fisherman" Not so much a Jesus novel, but embraces the period in
                            passing is James Michener's "The Source". And a very intriguing approach,
                            setting the gospel events in a sort of 20t C setting is the series of novels
                            by Stuart Jackman "The Davidson Affair", "The Burning Men" and "Slingshot".
                            "The Davidson Affair" deals with the immediate post-Easter period by having
                            a TV reporter go to Jerusalem to investigate rumours that Jesus Davdison has
                            been raised from the dead. Intersting interpretation, I though, if you can
                            cope with the idea of Roman soldiers patrolling in jeeps with machine guns
                            mounted.

                            Cheers,
                            Rev Tony Buglass
                            Superintendent Minister
                            Upper Calder Methodist Circuit
                          • Chrystian Boyer
                            Message 13 of 17 , Nov 26, 2005
                              > I'm interested in knowing about other Jesus novels... I'm all ears.

                              There's a good novel in French : Eric-Emmanuel Schmitt, L'évangile
                              selon Pilate [The gospel according to Pilate], Paris, Albin Michel,
                              2000, 283 p.

                              --- The novel is divided in two parts. In the first one, Jesus is
                              about to be arrested, and he's thinking about what he've done until
                              now, and he's… doubting : is he really the messiah? The second part
                              takes place after the death of Jesus, and it's now Pilate who's
                              thinking about what he've done… The tomb have been found empty, so
                              it's Pilate's turn to doubt…

                              Less "philosophical", and also in French : Gerald Messadié, L'homme
                              qui devint Dieu [The man who became God], Paris, Robert Laffont, 1988,
                              611 p.

                              --- A very "secular" life of Jesus, with harmonizations and
                              rationalist interpretations of miracles in the fashion of the "Lives
                              of Jesus" of the end of the 19th century. A lot of anachronisms and
                              historical errors, and some funny hypothesis. Worth the reading.

                              Regards,
                            • Timothy E. Kennelly
                              Message 14 of 17 , Nov 26, 2005
                                Dr. Crook,

                                This will seem rather odd, but I will suggest Bram Stoker's Dracula
                                and Gaston Leroux' The Phantom of the Opera; not indeed that these
                                texts are about Jesus, obviously they are not; rather they treat the
                                problem of the credibility of a fantastic story given a number of
                                original sources. I suspect that these authors stumbled upon the
                                problem from the position New Testament scholarship was in about a
                                century ago, although I have made no effort to prove this. So
                                Dracula and the Phantom (Erik) are perhaps test case for Jesus or
                                trope for Jesus.

                                Warmest Regards,

                                Tim Kennelly

                                --- In crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com, Zeba Crook <zcrook@c...> wrote:

                                > Dear List,
                                >
                                > I'm interested in knowing about other Jesus novels. People have
                                listed
                                > already Theissen's _In the Shadow of the Galilean_ and Rice's new
                                > novel. Are there others that listers have either read or heard
                                of?
                                > I'm interested in literary ones, as opposed to pulpy or popular
                                > treatments (of the _Left Behind_ and _DaVinci Code_ variety), but
                                in
                                > reality I'm all ears.
                                >
                                > Cheers,
                                >
                                > Zeb
                                >
                                > -----------------------------
                                > Z.A. Crook
                                > Assistant Professor, Religion
                                > Carleton University
                                > 1125 Colonel By Drive
                                > Ottawa, ON, K1S 5B6
                                > 613-520-2600, ext. 2276
                                > www.carleton.ca/~zcrook

                              • Tony Buglass
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jan 8, 2006
                                  It's a long time since Zeb asked about Jesus novels, and I don't know how
                                  far this fits his criteria, but I just found a note that I made a few years
                                  ago about a sort of "what if" novel. It's called "On the Third Day" by
                                  Piers Paul Read, puiblished in hardback in 1991. The basic thesis is the
                                  discovery during an undercover excavation under the Dome of the Rock of a
                                  crucified body which is then believed to be the remains of Jesus of
                                  Nazareth. The guts of the story is the response of religious people to the
                                  discovery, including a number of Catholic priests who commit suicide, and an
                                  even greater number who go on a sex orgy. Whether this is making up for
                                  lost time, or using sex as an anaesthetic as occasionally described in the
                                  novels of Susan Howatch, is not made clear.

                                  It's about 6 years since I was loaned the book, and I can't remember a great
                                  deal of it, aprt from the impression that it wasn't just a pulp attack on
                                  religion. There did seem to have been a reasonably amount of homework, and
                                  a serious attempt to explore the likely response of the Christian community
                                  to the discovery of the remains of Jesus.

                                  Just a thought.

                                  Cheers,
                                  Rev Tony Buglass
                                  Superintendent Minister
                                  Upper Calder Methodist Circuit
                                • Martin Wells
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Mar 1, 2006
                                    A late edition to the long finished thread:

                                    Michael Moorcock - 'Behold the Man'

                                    Martin Wells
                                    Bristol, UK

                                    _____

                                    zcrook@... writes:

                                    Thank you very much to everyone who has replied to my querie, on and off
                                    list. You've been a great help.

                                    Zeb

                                    --

                                    Zeba A. Crook

                                    Assistant Professor, Classics and Religion

                                    Carleton University

                                    2a54 Paterson Hall

                                    1125 Colonel By Drive

                                    Ottawa, Ontario

                                    K1S 5B6

                                    http://www.carleton.ca/~zcrook/ <http://www.carleton.ca/%7Ezcrook/>

                                    _Click Here!_ (http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/.1VolB/TM)

                                    List managers may be contacted directly at:
                                    crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com

                                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                                    Alan F. Segal
                                    Professor of Religion
                                    Ingeborg Rennert Professor of Jewish Studies
                                    Barnard College, Columbia University
                                    3009 Broadway
                                    219 Milbank Hall
                                    New York City NY 10027-6598

                                    asegal@...
                                    asegal@...

                                    crosstalk2-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                                    List managers may be contacted directly at:
                                    crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com

                                    Historical
                                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Historical+jesus&w1=Historical+jesus&w2
                                    =Beyond+belief&w3=Christianity+today&w4=Mere+christianity&w5=Mormon+beliefs&
                                    c=5&s=108&.sig=U6kyfgKFK9rd_n8qRVwp5w> jesus
                                    Beyond
                                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Beyond+belief&w1=Historical+jesus&w2=Be
                                    yond+belief&w3=Christianity+today&w4=Mere+christianity&w5=Mormon+beliefs&c=5
                                    &s=108&.sig=LKn3s6E_cC_tKJwovxzK1g> belief
                                    Christianity
                                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Christianity+today&w1=Historical+jesus&
                                    w2=Beyond+belief&w3=Christianity+today&w4=Mere+christianity&w5=Mormon+belief
                                    s&c=5&s=108&.sig=mFt-msyLnd-YlNjmhOMF3g> today

                                    Mere
                                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Mere+christianity&w1=Historical+jesus&w
                                    2=Beyond+belief&w3=Christianity+today&w4=Mere+christianity&w5=Mormon+beliefs
                                    &c=5&s=108&.sig=tRgMQXNGczR3dB7xdEeCIw> christianity
                                    Mormon
                                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Mormon+beliefs&w1=Historical+jesus&w2=B
                                    eyond+belief&w3=Christianity+today&w4=Mere+christianity&w5=Mormon+beliefs&c=
                                    5&s=108&.sig=eYNPtA8QN3C6ZaXbwM70bw> beliefs

                                    _____

                                    YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                                    * Visit your group "crosstalk2
                                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/crosstalk2> " on the web.

                                    <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                                    _____

                                  • WAxe101516@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Mar 4, 2006
                                      There was a captivating novel called "Rabbi J," done, I think, in the '70's
                                      that has always remained with me in thought, if not in exact content. Some of
                                      you might find it interesting if it can still be found. I think the author's
                                      name was Lehman. It's been a long time since I read it, and now I'm at an age
                                      where no one expects me to remember my own name, much less that of book
                                      authors of 30 to 40 years ago.

                                      In the novel he presents a picture of a possible "historical" Jesus who is
                                      truly Jewish and not in any way or form "against the establishment," (at least
                                      as I recall). And, he uses the texts of the Gospels and the history/sociology
                                      of the time to tell the story....well worth the read.

                                      Bill Axe