Re: [XTalk] God-forsakenness in Mark

  • David B. Gowler
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 16, 2005
      I have not followed this thread, but as far as the Psalm 22 quote, I would
      recommend the essay by Vernon Robbins, "The Reversed Contextualization of Psalm
      22 in the Markan Crucifixion" (in The Four Gospels, a festschrift for
      Neirynck). I don't have the essay in front of me, but Robbins notes that the
      three allusions/quotes from Ps 22 actually drive the reader in the opposite
      direction from the positive ending. That is, that rhetorically, the direction
      of the Psalm is reversed so that readers don't end at the positive part of the
      Psalm; they end at the most negative part. The allusions to Psalm 22 also
      begin before the positive part of Psalm 22 and then drive you rhetorically in
      the opposite direction: Ps 22:18 --> Ps 22:7 --> Ps 22:1 (connections with Mk
      15:24 --> Mk 15:29 --> Mk 15:34). So perhaps Mark is not allowing the readers
      to jump so quickly over "Good Friday" to get to Easter.
      Every good wish,
      David

      crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 at 8:47 AM -0500
      wrote:
      >The one aspect of this question that has not yet been mentioned is the
      >fact that the words attributed to Jesus by Mark are the opening line of
      >Psalm 22. Most commentators understand this to indicate that Jesus is
      >being depicted as reciting the psalm. The psalm ends with a mini-hymn
      >expressing confidence, and therefore there is no reason to think that
      >Mark is portraying Jesus as being God-forsaken, rather than as being the
      >suffering yet trusting Son of God.
      >
      >James McGrath
      >
      >*****************************
      >Dr. James F. McGrath
      >Assistant Professor of Religion
      >Butler University, Indianapolis
      >http://religion.sytes.net
      >*****************************

      ******************************
      Dr. David B. Gowler
      Pierce Professor of Religion; Associate Professor
      Oxford College of Emory University
      http://userwww.service.emory.edu/~dgowler
      http://www.emory.edu/OXFORD/pierceprogram/Pierce.html
      ******************************
      Barack Obama, Nov 2, 2004: If there's a child on the south side of Chicago who
      can't read, that matters to me, even if it's not my child. If there's a senior
      citizen somewhere who can't pay for her prescription and has to choose between
      medicine and the rent, that makes my life poorer, even if it's not my
      grandmother. If there's an Arab American family being rounded up without
      benefit of an attorney or due process, that threatens my civil liberties. It's
      that fundamental belief--I am my brother's keeper, I am my sisters'
      keeper--that makes this country work. It's what allows us to pursue our
      individual dreams, yet still come together as a single American family. "E
      pluribus unum." Out of many, one.