Re: [XTalk] Bethsaida and Capernaum, Peter and Jewish Identity

  • goranson@duke.edu
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 4, 2005
      I am not up to date on the Bethsaida excavations, so feel free to take
      this with
      a grain of salt. These sites are not far apart. Also, Tiberias became the
      capital of Galilee during Peter's lifetime, replacing Sepphoris, perhaps
      bringing more Greco-Roman influence to the lakeside. And that Capernaum was
      predominantly Jewish does not rule out some outside influence. And, though the
      texts are later, and the calculus of the changing definitions of "minim" would
      also need be taken into account, you might take a look at the several rabbinic
      mentions of minim in Capernaum, and what was in dispute, according to those
      traditions.

      best
      Stephen Goranson
      http://www.duke.edu/~goranson