Re: [XTalk] Anne Rice and the scholars

  • Lee Edgar Tyler
    Message 1 of 105 , Nov 3, 2005
      John C. Poirier wrote:

      >David Hindley wrote:
      >

      >>...To be honest, the concept that the Jewish war fundamentally changed
      >>Judaism but not Christianity, a Jewish sect, seems strange, so I am
      >>inclined to agree with Rice here.
      >>

      >I don't get this. Wasn't Judaism changed mostly with respect to its
      >reliance on the Temple cult? And didn't the realia of the cult figure only
      >very little, if at all, in Christian theology from the start? What sort of
      >change should we expect?
      >
      >Furthermore, the destruction of the Temple unseated the Temple
      >administration from its position of authority (although many of the priests
      >competed in the resulting power scramble), but it would not have had such an
      >effect on the Palestinian Christian community.
      >

      >John C. Poirier
      >Middletown, Ohio

      I also question what the influence of the destruction of Jerusalem would
      have been on the Christian communities in Asia Minor, which seems to
      constitute the bulk of Christians at the time.

      Ed Tyler
      Baton Rouge, LA
    • Richard H. Anderson
      Message 105 of 105 , Dec 2, 2005
        Liz,

        I assume you mean the url for the journal which I posted this am

        Xtalk member, Lisbeth S. Fried's, new book is now available, The Priest and
        the Great King: Temple-Palace Relations in the Persian Empire, together with
        this review in Denver Journal.
        http://www.denverseminary.edu/dj/articles2005/0100/0109.php

        Richard H. Anderson