RE: [XTalk] Anne Rice and the scholars

    Message 1 of 105 , Nov 3, 2005
      At 07:47 AM 11/3/2005, John C. Poirier wrote:
      >David Hindley wrote:
      >
      > >...To be honest, the concept that the Jewish war fundamentally changed
      > >Judaism but not Christianity, a Jewish sect, seems strange, so I am
      > >inclined to agree with Rice here.
      >
      >I don't get this. Wasn't Judaism changed mostly with respect to its
      >reliance on the Temple cult?

      It also, as a result, changed the authority structure of Judaism. This was
      a huge change. The advent of Rabbinic Judaism could not happen until after
      the destruction of the Temple.

      > And didn't the realia of the cult figure only
      >very little, if at all, in Christian theology from the start?

      Ha! But what do we know of "Christian theology from the start"? Mostly what
      we know is Pauline theology. But what about Jacobine theology (the theology
      of James)? His vision of the place of Jerusalem was rather different from
      Paul's, wasn't it? In the literature that survives, we have only a rather
      biased sample of Christian theology.

      > What sort of change should we expect?
      >
      >Furthermore, the destruction of the Temple unseated the Temple
      >administration from its position of authority (although many of the priests
      >competed in the resulting power scramble), but it would not have had such an
      >effect on the Palestinian Christian community.

      How do you know that? Would not the removal of James' seat of power had
      some effect on the Palestinian Christian Community?

    • Richard H. Anderson
      Message 105 of 105 , Dec 2, 2005
        Liz,

        I assume you mean the url for the journal which I posted this am

        Xtalk member, Lisbeth S. Fried's, new book is now available, The Priest and
        the Great King: Temple-Palace Relations in the Persian Empire, together with
        this review in Denver Journal.
        http://www.denverseminary.edu/dj/articles2005/0100/0109.php

        Richard H. Anderson