Anne Rice and the scholars

  • Loren Rosson
    Message 1 of 105 , Nov 3, 2005
      On October 31, Jeffrey Gibson wrote about Anne Rice's
      novel of Christ:

      >We've already had a preview of what her
      >take on Jesus is in Memnoch the Devil.
      >Very Gnostic.

      That was then, but this is now. Evidently Rice has
      become a Tom Wright fan, so the bishop's disdain for
      gnosticism may have rubbed off. I still haven't read
      the novel itself, but I read the afterword this
      morning. Quite interesting. These are the scholars she
      was inspired by when she began researching Jesus in
      2002, and now recommends to her readers: John A.T.
      Robinson, Richard Bauckham, Martin Hengel, Jacob
      Neusner, Geza Vermes, David Flusser, Luke Timothy
      Johnson, Raymond Brown, Sean Freyne, Eric M. Myers,
      Larry Hurtado, Craig Blomberg, Craig S. Keener,
      Kenneth L. Gentry, Mary S. Thompson, Robert Alter,
      Frank Kermode, Eric Auerbach, Ellis Rivkin, Lee I.
      Levine, Martin Goodman, Claude Tresmontant, Jonathan
      Reed, Bruce J. Malina, Kenneth Bailey, D. Moody Smith,
      C.H. Doddm D.A. Carson, Leon Morris, R. Alan
      Culpepper, and "the great Joachim Jeremias" (see pp
      317-318).

      "I learned something from every single book I
      examined," she says.

      Then, just love it, comes the praise for Wright:

      "The scholar who has given me perhaps some of my most
      important insights and who continues to do so through
      his enormous output is N.T. Wright. N.T. Wright is one
      of the most brilliant writers I've ever read, and his
      generosity in embracing the skeptics and commenting on
      their arguments is an inspiration. His faith is
      immense, and his knowledge is vast. In his book, _The
      Resurrection of the Son of God_, he answers solidly
      the question that has haunted me all my life.
      Christianity achieved what it did, according to N.T.
      Wright, because Jesus rose from the dead. It was the
      fact of the resurrection that sent the apostles out
      into the world with the force necessary to create
      Christianity. Nothing else would have done that." (pp
      318-319)

      "Nothing else"? Religious conversions evidently stifle
      the novelist's imagination. (Hope this never happens
      to me. People find my fiction difficult enough to take
      as it is.)

      Another one of her convictions is that all gospels
      were written before 70 CE. "I found it absolutely
      impossible that the gospel writers could not have
      included the Fall of the Temple in their work had they
      written after it as critics insist. It simply didn't
      and doesn't make sense." (p 315)

      Then a howler:

      "When Jewish and Christian scholars begin to take this
      war seriously, when they begin to really study what
      happened during the terrible years of the siege of
      Jerusalem, the destruction of the Temple, and the
      revolts that continued in Palestine right up through
      Bar Kokhba...Bible studies will change." (p 316)

      No comment necessary. But what happened to the
      scholars she recommended with such enthusaism?

      I liked Rice better when she was into vampires.

      Loren Rosson III
      Nashua NH
      http://lorenrosson.blogspot.com/

      __________________________________
      http://farechase.yahoo.com
    • Richard H. Anderson
      Message 105 of 105 , Dec 2, 2005
        Liz,

        I assume you mean the url for the journal which I posted this am

        Xtalk member, Lisbeth S. Fried's, new book is now available, The Priest and
        the Great King: Temple-Palace Relations in the Persian Empire, together with
        this review in Denver Journal.
        http://www.denverseminary.edu/dj/articles2005/0100/0109.php

        Richard H. Anderson