digital dissertations

  • Jacob Knee
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 26, 2005
      This may be of interest - if not apologies!

      I have been lightly following the development in electronic storage and
      distribution of dissertations and theses. There have been a variety of
      interesting experiments. For me, after the bother of ordering through ILL
      microfilm or paper photocopies of British dissertations from the British
      Library (http://www.bl.uk/services/document/theses.html) it was a revelation
      to discover the Thesis Canada portal. It seems to have online pdfs of
      Canadian dissertations submitted between 1998 and 31 August 2002 at
      http://www.collectionscanada.ca/thesescanada/index-e.htm

      This experiment with Canadian theses apparently stopped in 2002 but
      nevertheless there are many interesting theses freely available through the
      Thesis Canada portal. These include (watch the wrap on the URLs)

      1. Derrenbacker, Robert Allen, 1964-. Ancient compositional practices and
      the Synoptic Problem
      http://amicus.collectionscanada.ca/s4-bin/Main/ItemDisplay?l=0&l_ef_l=0&id=&
      v=0&lvl=2&coll=18&rt=1&itm=27589822&rsn=pdfsearch.tmp&all=1&dt=PD+|kloppenbo
      rg|&spi=-&rp=1&vo=1

      2. Harland, Philip A. (Philip Alan), 1969-. Claiming a place in polis and
      empire: the significance of imperial cults and connections among
      associations, synagogues and Christian groups in Roman Asia (c. 27 BCE--138
      CE).
      http://amicus.collectionscanada.ca/s4-bin/Main/ItemDisplay?l=0&l_ef_l=0&id=&
      v=0&lvl=2&coll=18&rt=1&itm=24717495&rsn=pdfsearch.tmp&all=1&dt=PD+|kloppenbo
      rg|&spi=-&rp=1&vo=1

      3. Ascough, Richard S. (Richard Stephen), 1962-. Voluntary associations and
      community formation : Paul's Macedonian Christian communities in context
      http://amicus.collectionscanada.ca/s4-bin/Main/ItemDisplay?l=0&l_ef_l=0&id=&
      v=0&lvl=2&coll=18&rt=1&itm=19349352&rsn=pdfsearch.tmp&all=1&dt=PD+|kloppenbo
      rg|&spi=-&rp=1&vo=1

      4. Smith, Daniel Alan, 1963-. The post-mortem vindication of Jesus in the
      Sayings Gospel Q
      http://amicus.collectionscanada.ca/s4-bin/Main/ItemDisplay?l=0&l_ef_l=0&id=&
      v=0&lvl=2&coll=18&rt=1&itm=27589819&rsn=pdfsearch.tmp&all=1&dt=PD+|kloppenbo
      rg|&spi=-&rp=1&vo=1

      5. Arnal, William E. (William Edward), 1967-. The rhetoric of deracination
      in Q : a reassessment.
      http://amicus.collectionscanada.ca/s4-bin/Main/ItemDisplay?l=0&l_ef_l=1&id=2
      18369.1203012&v=1&lvl=2&coll=18&rt=1&itm=19351799&rsn=S_WWWmfaWFhKtV&all=1&d
      t=+NW+|arnal|&spi=-&rp=1&vo=1

      More recently some universities have begun to make available some of their
      student's dissertations online. I have recently come upon two that I found
      of interest (for my own research on Matthew's gospel):

      1. Electronic theses and dissertations at the University of Pretoria
      http://upetd.up.ac.za/UPeTD.htm including
      a. Matthew's Inclusive Community: a narratological and social scientific
      reading by In-Cheol Shin at
      http://upetd.up.ac.za/thesis/available/etd-05262005-154759/
      b. Full list on available New Testament dissertations (some in Africaans) at

      http://upetd.up.ac.za/ETD-db/ETD-browse/browse?first_letter=N;browse_by=depa
      rtment

      2. University of Notre Dame electronic theses and dissertations at
      http://etd.nd.edu/ETD-db/ including
      a. The Historical Jesus and the Final Judgment Sayings in Q by Brian Douglas
      Han Gregg at http://etd.nd.edu/ETD-db/theses/available/etd-04122005-120750/
      b. Full list of theses in electronic form from Theology department (many
      with restricted availability) at
      http://etd.nd.edu/ETD-db/ETD-browse/browse?first_letter=T;browse_by=departme
      nt

      There is also always Proquest Digital Dissertations which, for those of us
      without access to institutional subscriptions, has a searchable list of
      dissertations submitted over the past 2 years. Dissertations can then be
      purchased at $28 per pdf dissertation. It is at
      http://wwwlib.umi.com/dissertations/

      I know there are many other resources (including the directory at
      http://www.ndltd.org/ that I haven't manage to find very useful). I believe
      that British universities (whose theses are usually absent from the ProQuest
      digital scheme) are investigating a possible way towards making at least
      some dissertations available as digital downloads. However as discussions
      have been going on since 1994 there doesn't seem much prospect of any rapid
      improvement. I would be delighted to be proved wrong.

      I would be interested to hear of any sites you have found helpful in
      searching for freely available online digital theses and dissertations. If
      the moderators think this is inappropriate to be discussed a part of
      Crosstalk please email me.

      Best wishes,
      Jacob Knee
      Cam, Glos.
    • Richard H. Anderson
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 2, 2005
        There appears to be some misinformation being spread. Although SEPTA is on
        strike, the trains are still running and you will be able, if you wish, to
        take the train from Philadelphia International Airport to center city to the
        SBA conference.

        Richard H. Anderson
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 2, 2005
          Hi Richard,
          Thanks for the information.
          Gordon Raynal
          Inman, SC
          On Nov 2, 2005, at 12:48 PM, Richard H. Anderson wrote:

          > There appears to be some misinformation being spread. Although SEPTA
          > is on
          > strike, the trains are still running and you will be able, if you
          > wish, to
          > take the train from Philadelphia International Airport to center city
          > to the
          > SBA conference.
          >
          > Richard H. Anderson

          > crosstalk2-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
          >
          > To unsubscribe, send an e-mail to:
          >
          > List managers may be contacted directly at:
          > crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Jim West
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 2, 2005
            Richard H Anderson wrote:

            > There appears to be some misinformation being spread. Although SEPTA is on
            > strike, the trains are still running and you will be able, if you wish, to
            > take the train from Philadelphia International Airport to center city to the
            > SBA conference.
            >
            > Richard H. Anderson

            Which train in particular?

            --
            D. Jim West

          • Richard H. Anderson
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 2, 2005
              there is only one train at the airport and it goes to center city. you can go to Market East Station and walk to convention center. No need to switch trains unless your hotel is not within walking distance of the convention center. I am assuming that the SBL is at the convention center.

              this is a centercity map with convention center and nearby sites and facilities

              http://www.pcvb.org/ab_phil/maps.asp

              Richard H. Anderson

              > There appears to be some misinformation being spread. Although SEPTA is on
              > strike, the trains are still running and you will be able, if you wish, to
              > take the train from Philadelphia International Airport to center city to the
              > SBA conference.
              >
              > Richard H. Anderson

              Which train in particular?

              --
              D. Jim West

              List managers may be contacted directly at: crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • David Hindley
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 2, 2005
                Richard,

                >>there is only one train at the airport and it goes to center city. you can go to Market East Station and walk to convention center. No need to switch trains unless your hotel is not within walking distance of the convention center. I am assuming that the SBL is at the convention center.<<

                Don't scholars rent cars? If you're visiting London, Tokyo, New York City or Chicago, that's another thing. It's worth the $50-60.

                Respectfully,

                Dave Hindley
                Cleveland, Ohio USA
              • Jim West
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 2, 2005
                  David Hindley wrote:

                  > Don't scholars rent cars? If you're visiting London, Tokyo, New York City or Chicago, that's another thing. It's worth the $50-60.
                  >
                  > Respectfully,
                  >
                  > Dave Hindley
                  > Cleveland, Ohio USA

                  Nope- we spend all our money on books- so we take the cheapest form of
                  transportation we can find. Rental cars are for well-to-do Donald
                  Trumpites.

                  Jim

                  --
                  D. Jim West

                • Stephen C. Carlson
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 2, 2005
                    At 08:24 PM 11/2/2005 -0500, David Hindley wrote:
                    >Don't scholars rent cars? If you're visiting London, Tokyo, New York City or
                    >Chicago, that's another thing. It's worth the $50-60.

                    At the SBL meetings I've attended, I usually just shared a
                    cab from/to the airport or took a shuttle. (Jim's right
                    about the books, though.)

                    Stephen

                    --
                    Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@...