1 Cor 15

  • John E Staton
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 4, 2005
      Tony,
      I was interested that you confirmed that Paul's paradosis was contained
      in vv3-5, and that vv.6-8 were his expansion of it. One criticism of my
      essay "Leadership in the New Testament" (www.christianreflection.org.uk
      Click on "Leadership") relied on the assumption that vv 6-8 was part of
      the paradosis. I was arguing that the earliest concept of apostleship
      was the circle of the twelve, and that Paul's concept was an innovation
      based partly on his Damascus Road experience, but also largely on the
      success of his first missionary efforts in South Galatia. I believe
      Paul was probably the first to consider James an apostle. I suspect
      James saw himself as a leading elder, with great organisational
      authority, but not one of the guarantors of the tradition called
      "apostles". Paul "raised" his great nemesis to the ranks of the
      apostolate, then, in order to justify his own inclusion in that rank.
      Paul appears to have had a very wide definition of this word "apostle",
      but after him the circle was restricted to the 12 and Paul, and later
      Paul was regarded as "*the* apostle", presumably on account of his
      prolific writing.

      Best Wishes

      JOHN E STATON
    • John E Staton
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 7, 2005
        OK, Bob. I'll grant you that one. No-one knows *what* Paul was doing in
        Arabia, but it seems reasonable to assume he was evangelizing. However,
        as you suggest, it would appear he was not successful. It was only when
        his efforts met with success, and in an unorthodox field, he began to
        think of himself as equally commissioned to the apostles, in my view.

        Best Wishes

        Penistone, Sheffield UK

        www.christianreflection.org.uk