Re: [XTalk] Kloppenborg and Mark's Date

  • Stephen C. Carlson
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 3, 2005
      At 09:37 PM 10/3/2005 -0400, Jeff Krantz @ optonline.net wrote:
      >Since the thread on Mark's dating just died out, I read with interest John
      >Kloppenborg's piece in the JBL on *evocatio deorum* and the dating of Mark.
      >Have any of the rest of you read it?

      Is that in the latest JBL? I haven't gotten mine yet.

      Stephen Carlson
      --
      Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@...
    • Jeff Peterson
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 3, 2005
        On Oct 3, 2005, at 9:34 PM, Stephen C. Carlson wrote:

        > At 09:37 PM 10/3/2005 -0400, Jeff Krantz @ optonline.net wrote:
        > >Since the thread on Mark's dating just died out, I read with
        > interest John
        > >Kloppenborg's piece in the JBL on *evocatio deorum* and the dating
        > of Mark.
        > >Have any of the rest of you read it?
        >
        > Is that in the latest JBL? I haven't gotten mine yet.

        That's right. Argues that Mark 13:1-2's "no stone on another"
        represents the "calling out" of Jerusalem's gods (from the Roman
        perspective) and offers an interpretation of the destruction ex post
        facto. I wonder whether it's credible that Mark would be so indebted
        to pagan Roman tradition, but I agree with Jeff that it's an
        interesting piece.

        Jeff Peterson
        Austin, TX
      • Jeff Krantz @ optonline.net
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 4, 2005
          Mine just arrived yesterday..

          Jeff
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 4, 2005
            I read the article a little differently... So much of the "later" dating of
            Mark (post 70) has been grounded on the specificity of the description of
            the destruction of the Temple that Kloppenborg suggests that (common)
            knowledge of the seige practices of the Roman army would have allowed Mark
            to write this pre-70, knowing that this is what would happen because, as
            Jeff P. suggests, the "tutelary god" of the city has been called out...

            Jeff (K.)

            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 4, 2005
              At 10:51 PM 10/3/2005 -0500, Jeff Peterson wrote:
              >On Oct 3, 2005, at 9:34 PM, Stephen C. Carlson wrote:
              >> Is that in the latest JBL? I haven't gotten mine yet.
              >
              >That's right. Argues that Mark 13:1-2's "no stone on another"
              >represents the "calling out" of Jerusalem's gods (from the Roman
              >perspective) and offers an interpretation of the destruction ex post
              >facto. I wonder whether it's credible that Mark would be so indebted
              >to pagan Roman tradition, but I agree with Jeff that it's an
              >interesting piece.

              It's on-line now. It is a fascinating, thought-provoking, and
              solidly researched piece--just what one would expect from Kloppenborg.

              As for your comment, almost all of Kloppenborg sources for the
              evocatio deorum were writers flourishing in Italy (incl. Josephus)
              with the only exception being a not very illuminating inscription
              in a Cilician town. Kloppenborg does not really say in the article
              where he thinks Mark was written, but it seems to me that any case
              for Mark's alluding to an evocatio deorum would be strongest with
              a Roman provenance for Mark--a position that does not quite enjoy
              a majority status today.

              But how much indebtedness to pagan Roman tradition is really
              needed for Kloppenborg's argument to work? The Jewish references
              for the departure of the Lord from the first temple (Jer 12:7,
              Ezek 8:12 9:9 and 1 Enoch 89:56) are somewhat analogous, but his
              argument needs to rely on the knowledge that the Romans had a
              practise of demolishing temples. I suppose this knowledge could
              have been learned from bitter, practical experience without much
              intimacy with the details of the pagan Roman tradition behind it,
              but that knowledge, by itself, does not help us in deciding
              whether Mark's allusion to the practice is in anticipation of a
              future event or in retrospection of a past event for the author.

              Accordingly, Kloppenborg's case for dating Mark needs to depend
              on the retrospective literary and historiographic use of the
              evocatio ritual and "the wider field of prodigies used by Roman
              writers in their historical accounts" (445). I feel that its force
              then depends on how much one thinks that Mark was written in Rome
              or otherwise betrays a Roman audience and/or the influence of Roman
              historians, which Kloppenborg does not really address except to
              note that he's not very optimistic about value of the patristic
              evidence on the origin of Mark (421).

              Stephen Carlson
              --
              Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@...