Gospel Hoax

  • Jim West
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 3, 2005
      We have already heard good things about Stephen Carlson's forthcoming
      book, <a
      href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1932792481/qid=1128351850/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/103-6015448-6744668?v=glance&s=books">Gospel
      Hoax: Morton Smith's Invention of Secret Mark</a>. Today in the mail
      Baylor University Press was kind enough to send along an uncorrected
      proof so I could take a look at it. Thanks Tina!

      I've made my way into it a bit and I must confess that I love
      it! Stephen is an engaging writer with a fine style and a fine
      ability to clearly communicate. I won't give away the pony with
      extended quotations and the like- but I will say that his chapter on
      "Uncovering Literary Fakes" is simply must reading. Must
      reading. Especially in these days of fraud and forgery and
      unprovenanced artifacts.

      I would also note that several members of the Crosstalk list are
      mentioned in the preface- notably Goodacre and Gibson and Poirier.

      I hope that the publisher takes plenty of copies to Philadelpha- I
      will need to replace the gray covered uncorrected proof I have for a
      shiny covered autographed edition. Stephen, if you don't have a pen
      with you I will let you borrow one so you can sign my copy when I
      pick it up there.

      I heartily, and even enthusiastically, recommend this book.

      ++++++++++++++++++++
      D. Jim West

      http://biblical-studies.blogspot.com Biblical Theology Weblog
    • Loren Rosson
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 5, 2005
        Stephen Goranson wrote:

        >...though scholars who still wish to defend
        >the ms as genuine (18th-c.) surely should be
        >heard, at the moment, the chances of
        >vindicating "Secret Mark" appear to me almost
        >vanishingly small.

        Yes.

        I finished reading the galley. I don't think there
        will be many defenders of Clement's letter after
        Carlson's book becomes widely read. If there are,
        there's a big problem in academia.

        Loren Rosson III
        Nashua NH
        http://lorenrosson.blogspot.com/