Re: [XTalk] Render to God: Biblical Justice and Imperial Tribute

  • Ron Price
    Message 1 of 41 , Oct 2, 2005
      Ernest Pennells wrote:

      > .......the portrait of Jesus befriending tax collectors is
      > politically charged in harmony with "Render to Caesar." The target of
      > criticism is not Rome, but a corrupt priesthood.

      Ernie,

      The portrait of Jesus befriending tax collectors, along with the editorial
      context of the "Render to Caesar" saying, were surely both part of Mark's
      systematic attempt to curry favour with Rome. Thus it seems to me that they
      can be explained quite easily without invoking the priesthood, corrupt or
      otherwise.

      Ron Price

      Derbyshire, UK

      Message 41 of 41 , Oct 25, 2005
        Hi Ernie,

        On Oct 25, 2005, at 10:29 AM, Ernest Pennells wrote:

        > [Gordon Raynal]
        >> If this afternoon someone digging around Capernaum finds a box with
        >> Jesus'
        > diary ... even then ...<
        >
        > A fair sample of "extreme" within a forum of historical enquiry :-}

        I entirely accept your smile. I don't mind being called radical cuz
        I'm from that hippie generation:)! But just for some brief fun back:

        A.) If one assesses the fundamental nature of a piece of literature to
        be fictional, then there's nothing "radical" about reading it as
        such:)!
        B.) There's nothing radical about a historical methodology that seeks
        more sources than just the internal writings of a group about it's hero
        figure to be able to judge the historicity of stories told:)!

        But hey, I'm happy to be "radical;)!"

        Gordon Raynal
        Inman, SC