Render to God: Biblical Justice and Imperial Tribute

  • Ernest Pennells
    Message 1 of 41 , Sep 29, 2005
      Jeffrey has kindly added this to articles for review. A number of exchanges
      on XTalk prompted me to offer this as a piece of work in progress that
      should be approached in the hope of finding sufficient useful nuggets among
      the numerous rough edges, to justify discussion.

      Conclusion:
      This assessment of the Synoptic Gospels’ account of events at the temple in
      Jerusalem, culminating in a pivotal confrontation over the volatile issues
      of Roman taxation and idolatry, explains Jesus' startling response as a
      candid exposure of the consequence of allegiance to imperial authority. The
      confrontation was provoked by Jesus demonstrating against the temple tax,
      toppling tables of pagan coin that violate Torah and bear witness to a
      corrupt temple hierarchy. Jesus charges the presiding authorities as
      impostors who have expropriated and defiled Yahweh’s temple. He is
      vindicated in the court of biblically prescribed justice before being
      arrested, falsely charged, abused and executed under alien procedures at
      the hand of impostors and pagans.

      Regards,

      Ernie Pennells
      Samaa el Maadi Tower No 2B
      Level 12 Apartment 4
      28 Corniche el Nil
      Cairo, Egypt
      Tel: (20-2)526 6383 Mobile 0121001490
      http://www.trafford.com/4dcgi/robots/03-1982.html
      Message 41 of 41 , Oct 25, 2005
        Hi Ernie,

        On Oct 25, 2005, at 10:29 AM, Ernest Pennells wrote:

        > [Gordon Raynal]
        >> If this afternoon someone digging around Capernaum finds a box with
        >> Jesus'
        > diary ... even then ...<
        >
        > A fair sample of "extreme" within a forum of historical enquiry :-}

        I entirely accept your smile. I don't mind being called radical cuz
        I'm from that hippie generation:)! But just for some brief fun back:

        A.) If one assesses the fundamental nature of a piece of literature to
        be fictional, then there's nothing "radical" about reading it as
        such:)!
        B.) There's nothing radical about a historical methodology that seeks
        more sources than just the internal writings of a group about it's hero
        figure to be able to judge the historicity of stories told:)!

        But hey, I'm happy to be "radical;)!"

        Gordon Raynal
        Inman, SC