Re: [XTalk] The Death of Robert Funk

  • malcolmMACWULF@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 4, 2005
      I have read his work and send my condolences to his family and my admiration
      Rest in peace
      Malcolm

    • Jeff Peterson
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 4, 2005
        On Sep 4, 2005, at 6:27 PM, Robert J McElwain wrote:
        > I think Bob is solely responsible for the continuation of the
        > search for
        > the real Jesus that started 200 years ago with the German
        > theologians who
        > first dared to question orthodoxy.

        Bob,

        I didn't have the pleasure of meeting Bob Funk but have profited from
        his work (especially his article on the apostolic parousia in the
        Pauline letters) and join in the expressions of sympathy to his
        family and friends. RIP.

        Without taking anything away from his achievement, I'd suggest that
        Bob's comment above indulges in a bit of hyperbole (not uncommon in
        encomia). The same period during which Bob Funk drew public attention
        to the quest with unprecedented acumen also saw significant scholarly
        and popular work by E. P. Sanders, Gerd Theissen, Paula Friedriksen,
        John Meier, Raymond Brown, Victor Furnish, Dale Allison, and Bart
        Ehrman, among others, and all this independent of the Jesus Seminar.
        As Allison points out in his most recent book, it's really an
        exaggeration to say that the quest was ever suspended, even at the
        height of Bultmann's influence. FWIW, it's also the English Deists
        who deserve the credit for kicking the modern quest off, owing to
        their confidence that the order of nature would not have been
        disrupted by special divine actions, as Colin Brown documented in his
        Jesus in European Protestant Thought.

        Jeff Peterson
        Austin, Texas
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 5, 2005
          Hi Bob,

          > Bob Funk and the Westar Institute have meant more to my Christian
          > journey
          > than I can possibly express. I first met Bob, and his wife, Char,
          > several
          > years ago at on the Jesus Seminar meetings in Santa Rosa. What I
          > learned at
          > that meeting, and subsequent Jesus Seminar venues, has kept me in the
          > Christian fold ever since.
          >
          > I think Bob is solely responsible for the continuation of the search
          > for
          > the real Jesus that started 200 years ago with the German theologians
          > who
          > first dared to question orthodoxy. Bob is a man of incredible stature
          > that
          > can only be appreciated in the long term historical view.
          >
          > We have lost a giant.
          >
          > Blessings,

          This note of gratitude leads me to affirm what Robert Funk helped
          organize and maintain for nearly two decades and that is a sustained,
          cooperative scholarly study of Jesus and Christian origins. This
          conversation intentionally included non-scholars in listening, reading
          and questioning their work. The work included Catholics, Orthodox,
          Protestants, Unitarians, Jews and scholars outside churches/
          synagogues/ mosques/ temples (Among the laity I met there, I did meet a
          few practicing Muslims and Buddhists, not to mention "humanists" of
          more than one stripe). The produce crafted out of twice yearly formal
          meetings worked to gather a consensus work of scholarship among the
          participants. To be sure all the produce (methods, materials studied
          and particular findings) are rightly the subject of debate and this
          consensus based work, as any consensus work is defined by those limits
          (Anyone who ever witnessed the work knows that this was hardly the
          produce of simple like mindedness.), but this was and is and will be a
          monumental achievement. One sure sign of this is precisely the copious
          amount of work produced criticizing the Seminar and Funk himself. But
          one thing Bob himself said was that after the completed the first
          round, then on the basis of the sheer experience of devoting over a
          dozen years to the question of the historical Jesus is that the
          scholars ought to go back and do it again to see how the very work led
          them to learn and change. The sheer thought of that... another dozen
          or more years revisiting this work detail by detail... lets one know
          just how much thought and effort and work it took to do this once.
          Sadly, of course, Bob can't do this, but perhaps another day will come
          when this kind of work will go on. In the meantime the reading and
          pondering is going on. Westar will have a 20th year celebration this
          Fall. The "on-the road" events continue... hey, there's even one
          scheduled in South Carolina this Fall! And I do hope that the scholars
          can finish their work and get it published on Paul and on Acts. I
          dearly wish that we could have persisted with the Canon work as well
          (that was the Seminar I participated in), but as Bob's passing reminds
          us, there is only so much time and only so much energy. Bob had a lot
          of it and I second your sentiments.

          Gordon Raynal
          Inman, SC
        • Robert J McElwain
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 5, 2005
            Hi Gordon,

            Excellent comments and right on target, as usual.

            I've established a Memorial site on Beliefnet at:

            http://www.beliefnet.com/milestones/commemoration.asp?milestoneTypeID=2&mil
            estoneID=70461

            for those who might want to make comments for Bob in a more public forum.
            I've also posted there some comments already made by some of the Jesus
            Seminar Fellows.

            Blessings,

            *

            Written by Gordon Raynal

[...]

            crosstalk2-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

            List managers may be contacted directly at:
            crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            Sender:
            sentto-1061475-15369-1125937574-nacm=compuserve.com@...

            b=uuFSUkCBVcJTONe0hRGwqK7n6Kqg+z7QtUni6af8sEGGzMGUbpLws+rGnBlVtsc1iVnp15wOn
            O+yydw4likrt++pziDGXZB5nIr+2mRjrcvJ10ZwVZ1WlfzN8lZxhE9N;
            Cc: Tommy Hickcox <cometkazie1@...>,
            Michael Ensley <mensley@...>
            To: crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com
            From: Gordon Raynal <scudi1@...>