Lest We Forget

  • Jim West
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 4, 2005
      Albert Schweitzer died on this day in 1965. Schweitzer was one of the
      most gifted persons in Western history. His abilities in historical
      Jesus studies, medicine, and music were simply amazing. His Quest of
      the Historical Jesus is required reading for anyone who studies the
      subject and his books on Bach are insightful and uplifting. R.I.P.

      --
      Jim West, ThD

      Non ergo fidem confirmare potest ulla creatura -- Huldrych Zwingli
    • Jeff Peterson
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 4, 2005
        On Sep 4, 2005, at 7:07 AM, Jim West wrote:

        > Albert Schweitzer died on this day in 1965. Schweitzer was one of the
        > most gifted persons in Western history. His abilities in historical
        > Jesus studies, medicine, and music were simply amazing. His Quest of
        > the Historical Jesus is required reading for anyone who studies the
        > subject and his books on Bach are insightful and uplifting. R.I.P.
        >

        > --
        > Jim West, ThD
        >
        > Biblical Studies Resources - http://web.infoave.net/~jwest
        > Biblical Theology Weblog - http://biblical-studies.blogspot.com
        >
        > Non ergo fidem confirmare potest ulla creatura -- Huldrych Zwingli

        > subscribe@yahoogroups.com

        > unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
        >
        > List managers may be contacted directly at: crosstalk2-
        > owners@yahoogroups.com

        > Historical jesus Different religions beliefs
        >
        > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
        >
        > Visit your group "crosstalk2" on the web.

      • Jeff Peterson
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 4, 2005
          On Sep 4, 2005, at 7:07 AM, Jim West wrote:

          > Albert Schweitzer died on this day in 1965. Schweitzer was one of the
          > most gifted persons in Western history. His abilities in historical
          > Jesus studies, medicine, and music were simply amazing. His Quest of
          > the Historical Jesus is required reading for anyone who studies the
          > subject and his books on Bach are insightful and uplifting. R.I.P.

          Apologies for the earlier abortive post.

          In her well researched THE HUMAN CHRIST (1998), Charlotte Allen
          raises questions about whether Albert Schweitzer's achievements in
          medicine are on par with his accomplishments as a humanist, and as I
          haven't seen this sort of thing elsewhere (apart from "reverence for
          life," of course, though not the specific entailments of this
          philosophy that she mentions), I thought they might be worth passing
          along in case anyone knows of other sources of information, whether
          pro or con Allen:

          "Over time, Schweitzer's bush hospital at Lambaréné, where his wife
          served as anesthetist, became a medical anachronism. At best a
          mediocre physician, he had also developed a 'reverence for life'
          philosophy that led him to ban meat, clocks, flush toilets, and even
          electricity and insecticides from his clinic for fear of harming
          other creatures. After Gabon won independence from France in 1957,
          the shambling Lambaréné clinic, where farm animals wandered freely
          among the patients and a white-haired European with a Nobel Prize
          played the genial tyrant, must have embarrassed the new country's
          leaders, who wanted the world to view Gabon as a cutting-edge
          'developing' nation with the latest in medical technology" (p. 239).

          Jeff Peterson
          Austin Graduate School of Theology
          Austin, Texas
        • Frank Jacks
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 4, 2005
            Thanks for this posting, if only because I led me to "google" Ms. Allen,
            by which I found out a little about her, including that she is a
            journalist who seems to be quite active in writing things on various
            topics, including articles for various magazines and opinion pieces (in
            effect "columns") posted on line and elsewhere; I also ran across
            several reviews about her book, which I
            had previously known nothing about. It seems like an interesting one
            and one that apparently did involve her reading quite a bit, although I
            would be interested to find out just how much she read in preparing
            herself for the book ... and this leads me to
            a question, which probably is just to refine yours - how does she know
            all this about Schweitzer's operations in Gabon? For
            all I know her description might be accurate, although why include such
            in a book recounting the scholarly perusal on the topic of "the Quest"?
            Quite apart from whether or not her description or her judgments [how
            would she know the quality or the
            standard of Schweitzer's medical abilities?] are accurate, why did she
            include them? Frankly, I am unclear as to whether I am echoing your
            question or revising it, but what I would ask of the other listers is
            information about what her sources were - is there any evidence (one way
            or the other) about Schweitzer's abilities as a physician? Are there
            published opinions by qualified medical experts that suggest his
            "philosophy of life" led to inappropriate or at least antiquated methods
            of practicing
            medicine? [Here I mean other than the obvious and familiar, that the
            physical resources within which he functioned forced him to adapt
            practices and procedures, out of simply necessity.] Finally, wha tmight
            be the evidence that anyone in the newly independent nation of Gabon
            found Schweitzer an embarrassment? Is this anything other than bootless
            character assassination, which can be ignored? As this might well be
            judged "off topic" I would appreciate any comments or suggestions to me
            off-board for I am fairly curious about the foundation or sources upon
            which Ms. Allen's judgements were founded.

            Frank

            Clive F. Jacks, Th.D.
            Professor of Religion, Emeritus
            Pikeville College
            Pikeville, KY

            (but now happily retired back home in the metro Atlanta area!)

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 4, 2005
              At 12:43 PM 9/4/2005, Frank Jacks wrote:
              >Thanks for this posting, if only because I led me to "google" Ms. Allen,
              >by which I found out a little about her, including that she is a
              >journalist who seems to be quite active in writing things on various
              >topics, including articles for various magazines and opinion pieces (in
              >effect "columns") posted on line and elsewhere ... and this leads me to
              >a question, which probably is just to refine yours - how does she know
              >all this about Schweitzer's operations in Gabon? ...
              >- is there any evidence (one way or the other)
              >about Schweitzer's abilities as a physician? Are there
              >published opinions by qualified medical experts that suggest his
              >"philosophy of life" led to inappropriate or at least antiquated methods
              >of practicing
              >medicine? [Here I mean other than the obvious and familiar, that the
              >physical resources within which he functioned forced him to adapt
              >practices and procedures, out of simply necessity.] ...
              > I am fairly curious about the foundation or sources upon
              >which Ms. Allen's judgements were founded.
              >
              >Frank

              These are all good questions, *including* the "obvious" about the physical
              resources that he had available.
              Remember that in a sense, Schweitzer became a time capsule of medicine as
              it was practiced when he left Europe. Those who wrote later about the
              "embarrassment" came with an updated knowledge of medicine to which
              Schweitzer only had very limited access. Medicine was evolving rapidly
              during his absence from the centers of state of the art medical centers.

              Imagine if Einstein, immediately after writing his theory of relativity,
              decided to retire to Tahiti to teach in a local high school rather than
              going to Princeton, and 30 years later someone looked him up and wanted to
              discuss some of the latest advances in theoretical physics with him.

              Which, come to think of it, might be pretty close to what happened to some
              of Jesus' disciples... <g>
              ....thinking especially of John on Patmos...

              Bob
              Robert M. Schacht, Ph.D.
              Northern Arizona University
              Flagstaff, AZ

            • Brian Mooney
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 4, 2005
                There will always be the debunkers, who boost their own status by tearing
                down figures like Schweitzer, and their motives as well as fairness of their
                statements frequently prove to be more than slightly suspect. Schweitzer
                was no unblemished saint - even his daughter recounts his unbending
                autocratic style, his insistence on having his way - and maybe it is the
                blemishes that make such people so intolerable to their critics. The
                critics cannot tolerate the faults.

                Schweitzer left a comfortable life of assured success in Europe after
                embarking on a rigorous course of medical study, as good an education as he
                could obtain at that time, in order to help people who had no access to a
                western-trained physician. As one journalist remarked many years later, it
                is interesting that the people he helped seemed grateful he was there, and
                found it remarkable that he would give up such a good life to come to Africa
                and help them. He worked under difficult, even primitive, conditions, and
                did his best with what funds he could raise personally. It is certainly
                accurate to say his medical methods must have at times been a snapshot of
                medicine as it was when he left Europe, an imperfection, just as he
                sometimes showed some signs of what was an enlightened (for his time) but
                nonetheless colonialist attitude. But he was also assisted by a number of
                much younger physicians who certainly introduced medical advances when they
                were available.

                His famed Reverence for Life seems open to much misinterpretation - my
                impression is that he still killed the bacteria, the parasites and the the
                insects as medical need dictated, but that he also did it with regret.

                James Brabazon's biography, now in its second edition (2000) is a
                solid,readable and balanced account, and likely the last to be written by a
                biographer who could still interview so many who knew and worked with Albert
                Schweitzer. It addresses the issues, head on. I still found the man
                immensely admirable amd deserving of my deep and fond respect, after reading
                this book.

                Brian Mooney

                Department of Arts and Sciences
                Johnson & Wales University
                Cahrlotte, NC 28202
              • Jeff Peterson
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 4, 2005
                  On Sep 4, 2005, at 9:05 PM, Brian Mooney wrote:
                  > James Brabazon's biography, now in its second edition (2000) is a
                  > solid,readable and balanced account, and likely the last to be
                  > written by a
                  > biographer who could still interview so many who knew and worked
                  > with Albert
                  > Schweitzer. It addresses the issues, head on.

                  Brian,

                  Many thanks for this reference -- the sort of thing I was hoping
                  Allen's comment would elicit!

                  Jeff Peterson
                  Austin, Texas