Jesus and Charismatic Activities

  • Ekaputra Tupamahu
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 31, 2005
      Hi all-

      I am working on a research of the Matthean Community and Charismatic
      activities, such as healing, prophecy, glossolalia, etc. I really
      need this article:

      Edward Schweitzer, "Observance of the Law and Charismatic Activity in
      Matthew," New Testament Studies 16 (1969-70): 213-30.

      If someone can send me a copy of it, i would be very grateful for that.

      I also want to ask your opinion on this topic. When Matthew mentioned
      about the charismatic activities in 7:15-23, i believe that perhaps
      Matthew was refering to a common practice in the church at that time.
      But I am wandering, in the time of Jesus, were the charismatic
      activities, such as exorcism, healing, prophecy, glossolalia,
      etc.,common practices among Jews in Palestine? We, of course, have a
      strong indication of the charismatic activities in the book of Acts
      and 1 Corinthians. But i am still struggling with the question
      whether Jesus and Jews in Palestine pre-pentecost (Acts 2) were
      familiar with those charismatic activities. Are there any book or
      essay or article that can help me?

      What do you all think about this?

      Best Wishes,
      Ekaputra Tupamahu, MA
      Asia Pacific Theological Seminary
      444 Ambuklao Rd.
      Baguio City - 2600
      Philippines
    • Eric Eve
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 1, 2005
        Ekaputra Tupamahu wrote:

        > I also want to ask your opinion on this topic. When Matthew mentioned
        > about the charismatic activities in 7:15-23, i believe that perhaps
        > Matthew was refering to a common practice in the church at that time.
        > But I am wandering, in the time of Jesus, were the charismatic
        > activities, such as exorcism, healing, prophecy, glossolalia,
        > etc.,common practices among Jews in Palestine? We, of course, have a
        > strong indication of the charismatic activities in the book of Acts
        > and 1 Corinthians. But i am still struggling with the question
        > whether Jesus and Jews in Palestine pre-pentecost (Acts 2) were
        > familiar with those charismatic activities. Are there any book or
        > essay or article that can help me?

        At the risk of appearing to be indulging in blatant self-promotion, I would
        tentatively point out that my own book _The Jewish Context of Jesus'
        Miracles_ (Sheffield Academic Press, 2002) attempts (among other things) to
        evaluate the evidence for Jewish healers and exorcists aroung the time of
        Jesus. In brief, my conclusion was that the surviving literary evidence for
        such activities is thin, and in particular, rather less substantial than
        it's often made out to be in the secondary literature, but that these
        activities may nevertheless have been more prevalent than the surviving
        literary evidence suggests, since folk-healers and exorcists active among
        the rural peasantry may not have attracted much attention from urban elites
        who produced texts, while there are *some* signs in surviving texts that
        such activities were going on.

        You can find a bit more information about the thesis on which the book was
        based at http://www.ecse.ukf.net/thesis/abstract.html.

        Best wishes,

        Eric

        ----------------------------------
        Eric Eve
        Research Fellow and Tutor in Theology
        Harris Manchester College, Oxford
        http://users.ox.ac.uk/~manc0049/
      • Richard H. Anderson
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 1, 2005
          Ekaputra Tupamahu wrote:

          > I also want to ask your opinion on this topic. When Matthew mentioned
          > about the charismatic activities in 7:15-23, i believe that perhaps
          > Matthew was refering to a common practice in the church at that time.
          > But I am wandering, in the time of Jesus, were the charismatic
          > activities, such as exorcism, healing, prophecy, glossolalia,
          > etc.,common practices among Jews in Palestine? We, of course, have a
          > strong indication of the charismatic activities in the book of Acts
          > and 1 Corinthians. But i am still struggling with the question
          > whether Jesus and Jews in Palestine pre-pentecost (Acts 2) were
          > familiar with those charismatic activities. Are there any book or
          > essay or article that can help me?

          as to Solomon and demons etc., You might check Chapter 7 of the Wisdom of
          Solomon as to early traditions about Solomon and also 11QPsAp containing
          some evidence from the Dead Sea Scrolls that Solomon's name is linked with
          control of demons within the Qumran community.

          Richard H. Anderson

          http://kratistostheophilos.blogspot.com/2005/06/jesus-son-of-david-have-merc
          y-on-me.html
        • Ekaputra Tupamahu
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 3, 2005
            Thank you for giving me excellent suggestions. I do appreciate it.

            Correct me if i am wrong, i observe that there are not many studies
            have been done on Matthean theology of the charismatic activities that
            deal with both the sitz im leben of the early church (or matthean
            community), and sitz im leben jesu. Perhaps because of the influence
            of the naturalism worldview, modern biblical scholars tend to see
            those charismatic activities, which is strongly related to the concept
            of miracle, as purely myths. therefore, the importance of charismatic
            activities is really underestimated. there is an old article written
            by James Martin, "The Church in Matthew," Interpretation 29 (January
            1975): 41-56, shows that one of the most important characteristics of
            the church in Matthean's ecclesiology is the charismatic ministries.

            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 3, 2005
              At 10:21 PM 9/2/2005, Ekaputra Tupamahu wrote:
              >Thank you for giving me excellent suggestions. I do appreciate it.
              >
              >Correct me if i am wrong, i observe that there are not many studies
              >have been done on Matthean theology of the charismatic activities that
              >deal with both the sitz im leben of the early church (or matthean
              >community), and sitz im leben jesu. Perhaps because of the influence
              >of the naturalism worldview, modern biblical scholars tend to see
              >those charismatic activities, which is strongly related to the concept
              >of miracle, as purely myths. therefore, the importance of charismatic
              >activities is really underestimated. there is an old article written
              >by James Martin, "The Church in Matthew," Interpretation 29 (January
              >1975): 41-56, shows that one of the most important characteristics of
              >the church in Matthean's ecclesiology is the charismatic ministries.
              >
              >Best wishes,
              >Ekaputra Tupamahu, MA

              Ekaputra,
              You might want to take a look at Stevan Davies book, Jesus the Healer. It
              does not focus on theology, but rather on charismatic healers in
              anthropological perspective.

              Bob

              Robert M. Schacht, Ph.D.
              Northern Arizona University