Re: Essay: Orthodox Death Tradition Misrepresents Jesus

  • robtomd
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 3, 2005
      I agree with your basic conclusions, Ted, but I am surprised that you
      base your argument so heavily on Crossan and Kloppenborg Verbin. For
      the eucharistic tradition, for instance, I would cite Lietzmann, Mass
      and the Lord's Supper. Lietzmann gives evidence for a dual tradition
      of the eucharist, one branch being Didache-like and having no
      reference to the "Last Supper", the other branch being the Synoptic
      tradition of the Institution. Lietzmann traces the Synoptic version to
      Paul, but R.D. Richardson, in his extensive commentary on Lietzmann,
      argues (persuasively, to my mind) that I Cor 11:23-26 is an
      interpolation, a point which seems to be unjustly ignored in recent
      discussions of the eucharist. Some other points that seem to me to be
      given insufficient weight are: the difficulty of getting Palestinian
      Jews to eat human flesh and drink human blood, even symbolically, and
      the lack of an Institution narrative in John - he either doesn't know
      of any such tradition, or doesn't believe it.

      Robert N. Oerter