Web Links for "The Two Worlds in Which Christianity Originated: Jewish and Greek"

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 11, 2005
      With apologies for cross posting:

      The next web page for the Harris NT Intro that I'll be revising and
      expanding upon is the one that on the Harris Web site accompanies his
      Chapter 3: "The Two Worlds in Which Christianity Originated: Jewish and
      Greek" It can be found at:

      http://highered.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/0767420314/student_view0/chapter3/web_links.html

      As was the case in my revision of the present web links pages for
      Harris' Chapters One and Two, my intention is to use the headings and
      subheadings of the current online outline to Chapter 3 as my list of
      topics and themes for which I'll line up links and good online
      discussions.

      I'm enclosing this outline below so you can see for yourself just what
      these topics and themes are. It would be of immense help to me if List
      members would send me suggestions for things (i.e., Web pages and other
      **online** resources) to include under them.

      With thanks in advance for any help with this project.

      Yours,

      Jeffrey

      *********

      Outline

      I. Key topics/themes

      II. The one God, Yahweh

      1. The Shema
      2. The divine name
      3. The Jewish Deity's Name in the New Testament

      III. The Torah

      1. The Mosaic Covenant
      2. The purity laws
      3. Views of Hebrew Bible authors concerning the applicability of the
      Mosaic Covenant
      4. Views of New Testament authors concerning the applicability of the
      Mosaic Covenant

      IV. The divine promises

      1. The promise to Abraham
      2. The Hebrew monarchy
      3. Attitudes toward the divine promises after the fall of the Hebrew
      monarchy

      V. The Jerusalem temple

      1. History of the Jerusalem Temple
      2. Significance of the Temple for devout Jews
      3. The Day of Atonement

      VI. The world of Greek thought and culture

      1. The impact of Alexander the Great
      2. The Hellenistic period
      3. The impact of Greek culture during the Hellenistic period

      VII. Greek Philosophy

      1. Socrates, Plato, and the immortal soul

      1. The life and impact of Socrates
      2. Plato
      1. Plato's philosophical dualism
      2. The impact of Plato on New Testament thought

      2. Stoicism and Stoic endurance
      1. Zeno the founder of Stoicism
      2. The Logos as the divine principle permeating the universe
      3. The influence of Stoicism in the Hellenistic world

      3. Epicureanism
      1. The philosophy of Epicurus
      2. Relationship with the atomism of Democritus

      4. Cynicism
      1. The philosophy of Diogenes and his disciples
      2. Antimaterialism
      3. Opposition to prevailing cultural norms
      4. Relationship to lifestyle of Jesus of Nazareth

      5. Summary: Early Christian encounters with Greek philosophical
      schools

      VIII. Greco-Roman religion

      1. The twelve Olympians
      1. Zeus
      2. Poseidon
      3. Hades
      4. Hera
      5. Demeter
      6. Hestia
      7. Athene
      8. Apollo
      9. Artemis
      10. Hemes
      11. Ares
      12. Aphrodite

      2. The Hymn to Zeus an image of ancient devotion to the Olympian gods

      3. Gods offering worshipers a personal relationship

      1. Asclepius
      1. God of the healing arts
      2. Worshiped at healing shrines throughout the Greco-Roman
      world

      2. Dionysus of Thebes and Jesus of Nazareth
      1. The myth of Dionysus
      2. Parellels between the myth of Dionysus and life of Jesus of
      Nazareth
      3. Wine as the beverage of communion between gods and humans

      IX. The mystery religions

      1. Dionysus and Orphism
      1. The myth of Orpheus
      2. The theology of Orphism

      2. Mithras and Mithraism
      1. The origins of Mithraism
      2. The myth of Mithras
      3. The impact of Mithras in Hellenistic culture
      4. Mithras as early Christianity's leading competitor

      3. The mother goddess (Isis)
      1. The myth of Isis and Osiris
      2. Religious experience in the Isis cult according to Apuleius

      X. Summary

      --
      Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
      1500 W. Pratt Blvd.