RE: [XTalk] On the Physical death of Jesus [long]

  • John Sabatino
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 4, 2005
      Of interest to readers might be Hengel's essay "Das Begrabnis Jesu bei
      Paulus and die leibliche Auferstehung aus dem Grabe" (pp. 119-83) in
      Friedrich Avemarie and Hermann Lichtenberger (eds.), _Auferstehung -
      Resurrection. The Fourth Durham-Tubingen Research Symposium: Resurrection,
      Transfiguration and Exaltation in Old Testament, Ancient Judaism, and Early
      Christianity_ (Tubingen, September, 1999) (WUNT 135; Tubingen: Mohr
      [Siebeck], 2001).

      In it, Hengel argues against Crossan's idea that Jesus was left unburied or
      tossed into a common graveyard for criminals. I have not read this yet, but
      according to Perkins review in CBQ, it is a very thorough treatment of the
      burial accounts.

      There's also a recent JBL article by Jodi Magness entitled "Ossuaries and
      the Burials of Jesus and James" Journal of Biblical Literature; Spring2005,
      Vol. 124 Issue 1, p121, 34p.

      Magness also argues against Crossan's views on the burial or lack thereof -
      particularly his supposition that it is surprising that we would find only
      the one properly buried victim of crucifixion, were this the norm.

      John Sabatino
      Austin, TX