On the Physical death of Jesus

  • Richard H. Anderson
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 3, 2005
      Bob Webb,

      On the Physical death of Jesus
      http://www.frugalsites.net/jesus/

      at the top of the page click on crucifixion site menu and then
      crucifixion.

      Richard H. Anderson
      http://kratistostheophilos.blogspot.com/
    • Bob Webb
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 4, 2005
        Richard,

        Thanks for the suggestion.

        But I'm really not looking for internet sites. What I'm looking for are
        academic discussions of the primary evidence for Roman policy and practice
        of capital punishment in general. I'm not looking for studies on Jesus'
        crucifixion specifically, but Roman policy and practice.

        Again, thanks.

        Bob.

      • David Hindley
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 4, 2005
          Bob Webb says:

          >>Thanks for the suggestion. But I'm really not looking for
          internet sites. What I'm looking for are academic discussions of
          the primary evidence for Roman policy and practice of capital
          punishment in general. I'm not looking for studies on Jesus'
          crucifixion specifically, but Roman policy and practice.<<

          There was a discussion about the subject on this list a few
          years ago. It was prompted by a claim, in Crossan's _Jesus: A
          Revolutionary Biography_, that bodies were left on the crosses
          until the flesh was consumed by vultures (or something to that
          affect). I believe in short time the focus broadened into the
          practice of crucifixion in general. I am certain that secondary
          sources were cited, if only 2nd hand.

          Try searching the archives for the words "revolutionary
          biography" and see what happens. Also, Google the phrase: ||
          "revolutionary biography" crucifixion || as the question will
          certainly show up on the web, possibly with bibliography.

          Respectfully,

          Dave Hindley
          Cleveland, Ohio USA
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 4, 2005
            At 06:03 AM 7/4/2005, David Hindley wrote:
            >Bob Webb says:
            >
            > >>Thanks for the suggestion. But I'm really not looking for
            >internet sites. What I'm looking for are academic discussions of
            >the primary evidence for Roman policy and practice of capital
            >punishment in general. I'm not looking for studies on Jesus'
            >crucifixion specifically, but Roman policy and practice.<<
            >
            >There was a discussion about the subject on this list a few
            >years ago. It was prompted by a claim, in Crossan's _Jesus: A
            >Revolutionary Biography_, that bodies were left on the crosses
            >until the flesh was consumed by vultures (or something to that
            >affect). I believe in short time the focus broadened into the
            >practice of crucifixion in general. I am certain that secondary
            >sources were cited, if only 2nd hand.

            Not to pick nits, but I believe that the book under review was Crossan's
            Birth of Christianity. For Web's purposes, as noted by Ed Tyler,
            "... Crossan DOES indeed talk about cases in which the Romans
            turned the bodies of execution victims over for burial. He also notes that
            they are not good analogs for the case of Jesus. In THJ and "Who Killed
            Jesus" he makes it quite clear that some victims were buried, and places his
            study of the character of Joseph against that background."
            That makes three books in which Crossan reviews the literature on this issue.

            David Hindley continued:

            >Try searching the archives for the words "revolutionary
            >biography" and see what happens. Also, Google the phrase: ||
            >"revolutionary biography" crucifixion || as the question will
            >certainly show up on the web, possibly with bibliography.

            Good idea-- but for my key words, I chose "crucifixion" and "dogs," and
            turned back the clock to those days of yore when this list was hosted by
            Harpercollins. I turned this up:

            Where is Ryan these days, anyway?
            Bob

            Robert M. Schacht, Ph.D.
            Northern Arizona University
            Flagstaff, AZ

          • David Hindley
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 4, 2005
              Bob,

              >>Not to pick nits, but I believe that the book under review was
              Crossan's Birth of Christianity.<<

              Actually I did mean _Jesus A Revolutionary Biography_. Someone
              had brought up Crossan's assertion (in said book) that Jesus'
              dead body probably served as food for dogs (p. 154), and I
              thought a short side thread followed this up.

              >>For Web's purposes, as noted by Ed Tyler, "... Crossan DOES
              indeed talk about cases in which the Romans turned the bodies of
              execution victims over for burial. He also notes that they are
              not good analogs for the case of Jesus. In THJ and "Who Killed
              Jesus" he makes it quite clear that some victims were buried,
              and places his study of the character of Joseph against that
              background." That makes three books in which Crossan reviews the
              literature on this issue.<<

              It is possible that Crossan dealt with the matter in _The
              Historical Jesus_ (which I don't own a copy of). In
              _Revolutionary Biography_ Crossan seems to have based his
              opinion about what happened to Jesus' dead body on Martin
              Hengel's _Crucifixion in the Ancient World and the Folly of the
              Message of the Cross_ (Philadelphia: Fortress Press, 1977). He
              described Hengel's book as "a catalogue of the writings of
              Greco-Roman authors on the subject of crucifixion."

              Respectfully,

              Dave Hindley
              Cleveland, Ohio USA
            • John Sabatino
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 4, 2005
                Of interest to readers might be Hengel's essay "Das Begrabnis Jesu bei
                Paulus and die leibliche Auferstehung aus dem Grabe" (pp. 119-83) in
                Friedrich Avemarie and Hermann Lichtenberger (eds.), _Auferstehung -
                Resurrection. The Fourth Durham-Tubingen Research Symposium: Resurrection,
                Transfiguration and Exaltation in Old Testament, Ancient Judaism, and Early
                Christianity_ (Tubingen, September, 1999) (WUNT 135; Tubingen: Mohr
                [Siebeck], 2001).

                In it, Hengel argues against Crossan's idea that Jesus was left unburied or
                tossed into a common graveyard for criminals. I have not read this yet, but
                according to Perkins review in CBQ, it is a very thorough treatment of the
                burial accounts.

                There's also a recent JBL article by Jodi Magness entitled "Ossuaries and
                the Burials of Jesus and James" Journal of Biblical Literature; Spring2005,
                Vol. 124 Issue 1, p121, 34p.

                Magness also argues against Crossan's views on the burial or lack thereof -
                particularly his supposition that it is surprising that we would find only
                the one properly buried victim of crucifixion, were this the norm.

                John Sabatino
                Austin, TX

                >>Not to pick nits, but I believe that the book under review was
                Crossan's Birth of Christianity.<<

                Actually I did mean _Jesus A Revolutionary Biography_. Someone
                had brought up Crossan's assertion (in said book) that Jesus'
                dead body probably served as food for dogs (p. 154), and I
                thought a short side thread followed this up.

                >>For Web's purposes, as noted by Ed Tyler, "... Crossan DOES
                indeed talk about cases in which the Romans turned the bodies of
                execution victims over for burial. He also notes that they are
                not good analogs for the case of Jesus. In THJ and "Who Killed
                Jesus" he makes it quite clear that some victims were buried,
                and places his study of the character of Joseph against that
                background." That makes three books in which Crossan reviews the
                literature on this issue.<<

                It is possible that Crossan dealt with the matter in _The
                Historical Jesus_ (which I don't own a copy of). In
                _Revolutionary Biography_ Crossan seems to have based his
                opinion about what happened to Jesus' dead body on Martin
                Hengel's _Crucifixion in the Ancient World and the Folly of the
                Message of the Cross_ (Philadelphia: Fortress Press, 1977). He
                described Hengel's book as "a catalogue of the writings of
                Greco-Roman authors on the subject of crucifixion."

                Respectfully,

                Dave Hindley
                Cleveland, Ohio USA

                crosstalk2-subscribe@yahoogroups.com