Re: No Luke: a thought experiment about Q

  • John E Staton
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 2, 2005
      Ron wrote: "How would we tackle the Synoptic Problem if we did not have Luke's gospel?
      This scenario should be easy to imagine for those of us who accept that
      there was a time when Mark and Matthew existed and Luke was not yet written."

      Not so easy, though, for those of us who think there was a time when Mark and Luke existed (and pssibly Q?)and Matthew had not yet been written.

      Best Wishes
      JOHN E STATON
    • Ron Price
      Message 2 of 21 , Jun 24, 2006
        John Poirier wrote (a year ago, but on looking back I've just thought of a
        question!):

        > ....... the double agreements are better
        > explained through Luke's direct knowledge of Matthew (or vice versa) than by
        > Matthew's and Luke's independent use of Q.

        John,

        Should I deduce from this statement that you are treating the Double
        Tradition as a unit? In other words, are you deducing that the close
        agreements in passages such as Mt 3:7-10 // Lk 3:7-9 indicate that Luke took
        the *whole* of the Double Tradition material from Matthew (or vice versa)?

        If so, then perhaps you would explain why you have concluded that the Double
        Tradition has a single direct source rather than (say) some of Luke's Double
        Tradition material coming directly from Matthew and some directly from a
        sayings source.

        Ron Price

        Derbyshire, UK