Translating Agapius' Arabic title

  • Bob Webb
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 27, 2005
      I'm doing a little work on Josephus' Testimonium Flavianum. As many of you
      well know, Agapius, a 10th century Arabic bishop cites a different version
      of it in his work Arabic work titled Kitab al-'Unwan.

      This reference is often cited as coming from "Book of the Title" but other
      references are to "Universal History".

      So, two questions:

      (1) Does anyone know enough Arabic to be able to translate Kitab al-'Unwan?

      (2) Does anyone know why there are the two different titles? Is perhaps
      "Book of the Title" a reference to a single volume within the multi-volume
      "Universal History" or something else?

      Thanks.

      Bob Webb.