Re: [XTalk] what really killed jesus?

  • Jack Kilmon
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 8, 2005
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Jim West" <jwest@...>
      To: <crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com>; <biblical-studies@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Wednesday, June 08, 2005 7:18 AM
      Subject: [XTalk] what really killed jesus?

      >A clot on the lung, not blood loss.
      >
      > the JP has the story
      >
      > http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=JPost/JPArticle/ShowFull%26cid=1118110994588
      >
      > Jim

      Normally crucifixion was a long agonizing death, often taking days and
      prolongation by offering liquid was part of the process. That Jesus died
      within a few hours while those crucified with him required crurifragium is
      certainly indicative of some acute pathology resulting from the severity of
      Jesus' "special handling." A pulmonary embolism is, of course, very likely.
      My opinion, however, leans toward hemothorax caused by the intense
      concussive assault of the flagrum.

      Jack
    • Ernest Pennells
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 9, 2005
        [Jack Kilmon]
        >...acute pathology resulting from the severity of Jesus' "special handling."<

        I thought flogging was a customary part of the procedure.

        Regards,

        Ernie Pennells
        220-50 Songhees Road
        Victoria BC V9A 7J4