RE: [XTalk] evaluating information

  • David L Barr
    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 7, 2005
      Perhaps a start on how scholars might evaluate web content can here:

      http://www.library.jhu.edu/researchhelp/general/evaluating/

      David
      ---

      David L. Barr

      Brage Golding Distinguished Professor

      Department of Religion

      Wright State University

      Dayton OH 45435-0001

      937-775-2293
      937-775-2892 (FAX)
      http://www.wright.edu/~david.barr

      Message 2 of 21 , Jun 7, 2005
        At 07:07 AM 6/7/2005, David L Barr wrote:
        >Perhaps a start on how scholars might evaluate web content can here:
        >

        ><http://www.library.jhu.edu/researchhelp/general/evaluating/>http://www.library.jhu.edu/researchhelp/general/evaluating/

        Good! Every undergraduate should have this on their mandatory reading list,
        whether they're in Biblical studies or not. Teachers ought to create
        exercises where students evaluate a sample web article using the techniques
        from this web page.

        IMHO, of course.
        Bob

        Robert M. Schacht, Ph.D.
        Northern Arizona University
        Flagstaff, AZ

        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 7, 2005
          At 07:07 AM 6/7/2005, David L Barr wrote:
          >Perhaps a start on how scholars might evaluate web content can here:
          >

          ><http://www.library.jhu.edu/researchhelp/general/evaluating/>http://www.library.jhu.edu/researchhelp/general/evaluating/

          I should have read to the bottom of this article before commenting.
          Its still a good article deserving wide circulation, but it was written in
          1996 and so is obviously in need of an update, e.g. re blogs. Same
          principles apply, but with new media that need to be acknowledged.

          Message 4 of 21 , Jun 7, 2005
            David L Barr wrote:

            > Perhaps a start on how scholars might evaluate web content can here:
            >

            > http://www.library.jhu.edu/researchhelp/general/evaluating/

            Perhaps? It looks to be an excellent page. I shall use it!

            Now, David, surely you have some links suggestions of your own to make. Or are
            you jealously guarding secret stashes of them for your own NT Intro?

            Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
            1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
            Chicago, Illinois
            e-mail jgibson000@...
          • Mark Goodacre
            Message 5 of 21 , Jun 7, 2005
              On 6/7/05, Jeffrey B. Gibson <jgibson000@...> wrote:

              > Perhaps? It looks to be an excellent page. I shall use it!

              I agree, with the minor additional comment that the page ought also to
              point to the very kind of resource that you are trying to put
              together, viz. gateway sites put together by academics.

              > Now, David, surely you have some links suggestions of your own to make. Or are
              > you jealously guarding secret stashes of them for your own NT Intro?

              David already has some useful suggestions at
              http://www.wright.edu/~dbarr/ , as you may already know.

              Mark

              Dept of Theology and Religion
              University of Birmingham
              Elmfield House, Selly Oak tel.+44 121 414 7512
              Birmingham B29 6LQ UK fax: +44 121 415 8376

              http://www.theology.bham.ac.uk/goodacre
              http://NTGateway.com
            • Mark Goodacre
              Message 6 of 21 , Jun 7, 2005
                On 6/7/05, Bob Schacht <r_schacht@...> wrote:

                > Actually, her article was first mentioned on XTalk on 29 Nov 1996 by
                > Antonio Jerez, with a response by Yuri Kuchinsky and then Maureen Smith on
                > December 1. I then lose the thread until 1998 when she published her book,
                > _The Human Christ_ (Free Press [Simon & Schuster]) and Jeff Peterson took
                > note and mentioned it on the list. That led me to examine my memory banks,
                > asking about the article, whereupon you entered the fray (July 26, 1998) to
                > note where the article could then be found on the web.

                Thanks for the interesting more accurate reminiscences.

                > Ah yes, old Tom, may he Rest In Peace. He of the Puffer Fish theory and his
                > Internet "book," written mostly with a computer of Tandy vintage, I think.
                > He was an Egyptologist of sorts.

                He was infuriating in many ways, but there was something I rather
                liked about his belligerence. He used to refer to any serious work on
                the text disparangly as "text crunching" which used to make me laugh.

                > Two gems. And there is or was quite a lot on Mahlon's website. How's he
                > doing? He posted many an essay on Crosstalk of almost Weedenesque
                > proportions and contributed thereby much to my own education.

                Me too. Mahlon made me take the work of the Jesus Seminar far more
                seriously than I had to that point, and made me rethink all sorts of
                things I'd previously taken for granted. He's missed around here. I
                heard that he is retiring soon and perhaps that will allow him to
                return to the fray? He has a weblog now at
                http://home.earthlink.net/~mahlonhsmith/index.html but it is only
                occasionally updated.

                > They had a piece about this problem on CNN or maybe it was NPR a month or
                > two ago. These days students grab stuff off the Internet and have no idea
                > if its true or not. One of the students on this particular feature story
                > said as much. PLEASE all you teachers, teach your kids how to evaluate
                > what they find on the Internet!!!! The problem is much worse than not
                > realizing how old the material is. You could start with "Consider the
                > source," but of course there's corroboration and many other elements that I
                > HOPE you are teaching them! I'm not really aiming those comments at Mark,
                > who I have every confidence is doing an especially savvy job of such
                > instruction.

                Thanks. I used to get very annoyed by colleagues disparaging internet
                resources when they should have been working with them in order to
                teach students how to use them. I think in the early days a lot of
                academics just did not know what to do with the internet and dismissal
                was an easy option. Now that's not a possibility, of course.

                > Thanks, Mark! How are you going to transition all of your marvelous web
                > stuff over to Duke? Set up a mirror site?

                Most of it is hosted independently on NTGateway.com and so happily I
                won't have to migrate anything over to Duke. There are some materials
                still hosted here at bham.ac.uk, though (e.g. my homepage, the Aseneth
                page, Synoptic-L page), and so those will require moving, probably to
                NTGateway.com too. Thanks for asking.

                Message 7 of 21 , Jun 8, 2005
                  Jeffrey
                  Would that it were so! I don't know how you folk find the time to
                  organize all this web stuff--plus you actually seem to read books. What I
                  never seem to have time for is getting it organized. Hence my deep
                  appreciation for folks like Mark Goodacre, and now this project.

                  best,
                  David
                  ---

                  _____

                  > Perhaps a start on how scholars might evaluate web content can here:
                  >

                  > http://www.library.jhu.edu/researchhelp/general/evaluating/

                  Perhaps? It looks to be an excellent page. I shall use it!

                  Now, David, surely you have some links suggestions of your own to make. Or
                  are
                  you jealously guarding secret stashes of them for your own NT Intro?

                  Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
                  1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
                  Chicago, Illinois
                  e-mail jgibson000@...

                • Karel Hanhart
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 7, 2005
                    Can anyone help?
                    Some time ago I downloaded an article by Crispin H.T. Fletcher-Louis,
                    University of Nottingham entitled "Jesus and the High Priest". I now
                    discover some pages didn't come through in the process. Can someone tell me
                    the website where the article is located? I am putting my question piggy
                    back on Mark Goodacre's note as I seem to remember he called our attention
                    to this article.

                    Thanks in advance for the help

                    Karel Hanhart k.hanhart@...

                    >> Perhaps? It looks to be an excellent page. I shall use it!
                    >
                    > I agree, with the minor additional comment that the page ought also to
                    > point to the very kind of resource that you are trying to put
                    > together, viz. gateway sites put together by academics.
                    >
                    >> Now, David, surely you have some links suggestions of your own to make.
                    >> Or are
                    >> you jealously guarding secret stashes of them for your own NT Intro?
                    >
                    > David already has some useful suggestions at
                    > http://www.wright.edu/~dbarr/ , as you may already know.
                    >
                    > Mark
                    >
                    > --
                    > Dept of Theology and Religion
                    > University of Birmingham
                    > Elmfield House, Selly Oak tel.+44 121 414 7512
                    > Birmingham B29 6LQ UK fax: +44 121 415 8376
                    >
                    > http://www.theology.bham.ac.uk/goodacre
                    > http://NTGateway.com

                    > crosstalk2-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                    > List managers may be contacted directly at: