Font Problem

  • jmtait
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2005
      Hi.

      I can't read Jeffrey's paper (not the one that he and Karel have been
      discussing recently) at:

      <http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/0CGeQm24vx2EoMCEDD_JDhPyjo1Fl_VBYnInPBirgvZC3jlkOdnWvl_KS5NzivL6EtXPK8v-LJlj-29ieVx951jntbU/Mk322Latest.pdf>Mk322Latest.pdf

      Acrobat tells me that there's a font missing. I was under the impression
      that fonts were embedded in PDF files - no? Can anyone help?

      Thanks.

      John M. Tait.

    • Rick Hubbard
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 2, 2005
        John asked:

        I can't read Jeffrey's paper (not the one that he and Karel have been
        discussing recently) at:

        <http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/0CGeQm24vx2EoMCEDD_JDhPyjo1Fl_VBYnInPBirgvZC3j
        lkOdnWvl_KS5NzivL6EtXPK8v-LJlj-29ieVx951jntbU/Mk322Latest.pdf>Mk322Latest.pd
        <snip>

        Acrobat tells me that there's a font missing. I was under the impression
        that fonts were embedded in PDF files - no? Can anyone help?

        I can't answer about this particular instance, but I can tell you that not
        all fonts can be embedded in PDF files (or elsewhere, for that matter). The
        font author has the ability to control that feature at the time of
        composition). To illustrate, choose a particular font, (in Win 9x and
        perhaps XP) locate the font in its directory, right click on it, choose
        properties, then choose the embedding tab. This will show you the
        "embeddibility" of that particular font.

        Rick Hubbard
        Humble Maine Woodsman