Re: [XTalk] Prelude to Replies: Jesus' Hidden Transcript

  • Theodore Weeden
    Message 1 of 26 , Apr 8, 2005
      David Hinley wrote on April 2, 2005

      > Ted,
      >
      >>>In perusing the Jesus Seminar's data base of sayings of Jesus
      > (authentic ["red" or "pink"] or inauthentic ["gray" or "black"]:
      > see Robert W. Funk, Roy W. Hoover and the Jesus Seminar, _Five
      > Gospels_, 549-553) and the data base of specific acts of Jesus
      > (again, authentic or inauthentic: see Robert W. Funk and the
      > Jesus Seminar, _The Acts of Jesus_, 556-569), I can find nothing
      > in either data base that indicates that Jesus' kingdom-of-God
      > ideology was formulated against the ideology of the public
      > transcript of Roman imperial rule. At best, from what I can
      > ascertain from these data bases is that Jesus took at an
      > ambivalent, almost value-neutral position toward Roman rule and
      > domination. The only saying attributed to Jesus in which he
      > specifically mentions the oppressiveness of Roman imperial rule
      > is his saying about paying taxes to the emperor. When shown a
      > coin with Caesar's image, and questioned about payment of taxes
      > to Caesar, Jesus replied, "Render to Caesar the things that are
      > Caesar's and to God the things that are God's" (Mk.
      > 12:16f.7/GThom 100; cf. Mt. 22:21; Lk. 20:25).<<
      >
      > Ted, IMHO I think you are placing much too much weight on the
      > Gospel accounts of Jesus' actions and sayings as Jesus' own
      > unedited transcripts! You were just arguing for a strong
      > fictional element in Mark, so this puzzles me.

      David, I apologize for not replying to your post already. It so happens
      that some of the issues you raise with me in your post are similar to those
      that Bob Schacht has raised with me in his post of March 30, 2005. I am
      having to do some research that is taking quite a lot of time in order to
      respond to the issues Bob has raised. I will respond to your post as soon
      as I complete my reply to Bob. My reply to him may well address the issues
      you raise in your post here.

      Regards,

      Ted.