Re: [XTalk] John the Baptizer and the LP

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 3, 2005

      Loren Rosson wrote:

      > Jeffrey wrote:
      >
      > > On the recent History Channel program on J the B, a
      > > few of the talking
      > > heads, including Murphy-O'Connor asserted that
      > > "some" believe/have
      > > argued that the Lord's Prayer originated with John.
      > >
      > > Can any one identify who these "some" are? Who has
      > > made this claim?
      >
      > Joan Taylor gives the idea credence. See The Immerser:
      > John the Baptist Within Second-Temple Judaism, pp
      > 151-153. Against the common idea that Jesus was asked
      > to teach his disciples a short prayer in the same way
      > John taught his disciples a (different) short prayer,
      > Taylor argues that the wording of Lk 11:1 is ambiguous
      > enough to indicate that it was the same prayer taught
      > by John. She further suggests that the LP fits John's
      > teaching as a whole, with close connections between
      > eschatology and practical considerations; forgiveness
      > of sins; etc. "It seems likely that much more of
      > John's message has remained than has hitherto been
      > recognized and that it is embedded in the heart of the
      > Christian ethos." (153)

      Thanks for this.

      Does Taylor note if she is alone in this view?  That is to say, does she adduce
      anyone else who has suggested/argued for this view?

      Yours,

      Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)

      1500 W. Pratt Blvd. #1
      Chicago, IL 60626

      jgibson000@...

    • Loren Rosson
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 4, 2005
        Jeffrey,

        > Does Taylor note if she is alone in [believing
        > that the LP originated with the Baptist]? That
        > is to say, does she adduce
        > anyone else who has suggested/argued for
        > this view?

        She doesn't cite anyone else in the text or footnotes,
        so I assume she is one of very few who believe this.
        I've not come across the argument anywhere else.

        Loren Rosson III
        Nashua NH
        rossoiii@...

        http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo