RE: [XTalk] Jesus Temple Act

  • Ernest Pennells
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 31, 2005
      [Gordon Raynal]
      >Do you make any connection to the Poor Widow's Offering in your
      interpretation? There Jesus obviously highly praises a woman for her
      financial gift. thoughts?<

      Quite a contrast with the money changers incident. Both the sum, her sex,
      and the comparison between the widow's paltry gift and a flourish of wealth
      by others clearly separate this from temple tax. This is free will
      offering. So while men line up meet their obligations, or topple the table
      in protest :-)', and those with surplus wealth brandish it about, the
      widow slips in a costly expression of genuine devotion, which Jesus
      applauds even if he did think it misdirected. On occasion, he also
      applauded prostitutes.

      [Gordon]
      >I know you favor this interpretation. But the utilization of the Tyrean
      Shekel began circa 125 BCE ...<

      I don't see that the provenance should prevent Jesus objecting to being
      taxed by impostors using pagan coinage.

      [Gordon]
      >As for the aphorism about money and God, well, it turns it back to the
      listeners and crowds to figure this out, eh?<

      I have figured it out! :-)'

      Incidentally, Gordon, you have me very angry with the media for all the
      fiction they publish as news: Suicide bombers can't possible get past
      several screens of trained military on high security alert in Iraq. The
      IRA(?) can't possible penetrate elaborate bank security systems to abscond
      with umpteen million. You try it! None of this can be historic, but there
      was gullible old me taking it seriously.

      Regards,

      Ernie Pennells
      Samaa el Maadi Tower No 2B
      Level 12 Apartment 4
      28 Corniche el Nil
      Cairo, Egypt
      http://www.trafford.com/4dcgi/robots/03-1982.html

      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 1 4:10 AM
        I had written:

        > Whether or not the temple incident happened,
        > it was doubtfully the
        > immediate cause of arrest and crucifixion --
        > though following reports
        > about it may have helped drive the nail
        > in Jesus' coffin.

        Gordon replied (surely tongue in cheek, I thought, but
        maybe not...)

        > Again... think through going to the Nashua
        > bank with a whip and
        > spilling out the money drawers across the
        > floor. How likely are you to not get arrested?

        First of all, the Bank of New Hampshire is never
        crowded shoulder-to-shoulder with masses of "pilgrims"
        when I cash my checks there. It's **much** easier for
        authorities to spot and pinpoint untoward behavior in
        modern day banks than the ancient temple during a
        passover festival.

        But more importantly, people get away with bank
        robberies all the time -- at least for a time. Here
        are a few recent examples from NH:

        1. Boden Hughes got away with multiple robberies
        before being arrested.

        http://www.usdoj.gov/usao/nh/pdfreleases/May04/DF%20Robbins%20Hughes%20indict1.pdf

        2. This guy robbed a NH Bank and made away before
        being apprehended:

        http://nhmostwanted.org/index.cfm?ac=casedetails&CaseID=20040007

        3. And I believe this guy is still at large:

        http://theunionleader.com/articles_showa.html?article=52257

        So I do share some of Ernie's sentiments, when he
        writes:

        [Ernie]
        > Incidentally, Gordon, you have me very angry with
        > the media for all the
        > fiction they publish as news: Suicide bombers can't
        > possible get past
        > several screens of trained military on high security
        > alert in Iraq. The
        > IRA(?) can't possible penetrate elaborate bank
        > security systems to abscond
        > with umpteen million. You try it! None of this can
        > be historic, but there
        > was gullible old me taking it seriously.

        Maybe the above media citations are, indeed, extended
        April Fools jokes. :)

        In any case, it seems very likely that Jesus could
        have gotten away after the temple incident (assuming
        it happened). This suggestion is one of the real
        strengths of Fredriksen's book.

        Loren Rosson III
        Nashua NH
        rossoiii@...

        __________________________________
        Yahoo! Messenger
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 1 5:05 AM
          Hi Ernie,

          > Quite a contrast with the money changers incident. Both the sum, her
          > sex,
          > and the comparison between the widow's paltry gift and a flourish of
          > wealth
          > by others clearly separate this from temple tax. This is free will
          > offering. So while men line up meet their obligations, or topple the
          > table
          > in protest :-)', and those with surplus wealth brandish it about, the
          > widow slips in a costly expression of genuine devotion, which Jesus
          > applauds even if he did think it misdirected. On occasion, he also
          > applauded prostitutes.

          Thanks for writing of how you see this fitting in.

          > [Gordon]
          >> I know you favor this interpretation. But the utilization of the
          >> Tyrean
          > Shekel began circa 125 BCE ...<
          >
          > I don't see that the provenance should prevent Jesus objecting to being
          > taxed by impostors using pagan coinage.

          So, in this case and as regards the coinage, Jesus was stricter in
          interpretation of the commandment about "graven images" than were the
          Pharisees? As most all the coinage in Israel was produced at foreign
          mints (and all silver coinage, save for the Jerusalem produced T.
          Shekels), and as all of that coinage bore pagan symbols, how do you
          understand Jesus' stance on the coinage use in this case, as opposed to
          just the daily transactions utilizing this coinage?

          > [Gordon]
          >> As for the aphorism about money and God, well, it turns it back to the
          > listeners and crowds to figure this out, eh?<
          >
          > I have figured it out! :-)'

          For yourself:)!

          > Incidentally, Gordon, you have me very angry with the media for all
          > the
          > fiction they publish as news: Suicide bombers can't possible get past
          > several screens of trained military on high security alert in Iraq.
          > The
          > IRA(?) can't possible penetrate elaborate bank security systems to
          > abscond
          > with umpteen million. You try it! None of this can be historic, but
          > there
          > was gullible old me taking it seriously.

          Well, I'll leave your worries about news reporting to you, as well as
          your preferred "self assessment" (which I judge to be an interesting
          rhetorical move, BTW. Have you resorted to fictional self
          representation to score a rhetorical point? <g>). This note was about
          the plausibility of this story. That's not the sole reason I take this
          to be a fictional creation by Mark, not even the first reason. Sure,
          highly improbable things happen and crimes/ terrorist acts that (in
          most of these cited cases) are based on long term study, surveillance,
          planning and teamwork. But back to my assessment of this as a
          fictional creation: [1] I judge that we have one source for this story
          (Mt., Lk. and Jn. copying from Mark), so I have no outside data to say
          "yea" or "nay." [2] This is yet another story that is attached to
          prophetic fulfillment related to a text source we do have (TANAK) [3]
          In Mark it immediately follows another story rooted in fulfillment of
          the Psalm 118/Zech. 9. As I noted this story falls into a whole series
          of stories where in Jesus, the Christ, challenges all the ruling
          powers/ dominions great and small (the power of the native royal
          heritage, the temple, the piety of Pharisees and Saducees and Scribes,
          the Priestly Court system, the Roman Court system and then, let me add,
          the power of the masses and the self assurance of his own followers).
          All are found wanting and so this story fits into this as a piece of
          the high drama Mark is creating. [4] Precisely that John likes the
          story, but was free to move it. And [5] this implausibility factor
          that I've spelled out. These and the judgment that I think Mark is
          creating an extended parable are what goes into my judgment that we are
          not dealing with a report of some past event, but rather another fine
          example of Mark's creative mind to create a powerful drama.

          Gordon Raynal
          Inman, SC
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 1 5:31 AM
            Hi Loren,

            > First of all, the Bank of New Hampshire is never
            > crowded shoulder-to-shoulder with masses of "pilgrims"
            > when I cash my checks there. It's **much** easier for
            > authorities to spot and pinpoint untoward behavior in
            > modern day banks than the ancient temple during a
            > passover festival.

            What are your sources for this judgment?

            BTW I looked up in JJ Rouseau's book ("Jesus and His World"). He
            notes, based on conservative estimates, that the annual tax brought in
            14.5 tons... tons!... of silver each year. I would rather suggest that
            considering this amount of riches, the value of each coin that the
            organization of the collection and the care with which it were done
            were indeed high, very high. Could such be overcome (is it possible?),
            well sure, but I take it that it would take much planning and scoping
            out.

            > But more importantly, people get away with bank
            > robberies all the time -- at least for a time. Here
            > are a few recent examples from NH:
            >
            > 1. Boden Hughes got away with multiple robberies
            > before being arrested.
            >
            > http://www.usdoj.gov/usao/nh/pdfreleases/May04/
            > DF%20Robbins%20Hughes%20indict1.pdf
            >
            > 2. This guy robbed a NH Bank and made away before
            > being apprehended:
            >
            > http://nhmostwanted.org/index.cfm?ac=casedetails&CaseID=20040007
            >
            > 3. And I believe this guy is still at large:
            >
            > http://theunionleader.com/articles_showa.html?article=52257

            But again... what they did were crimes and the police are on the hunt.
            In the Gospels the authorities after this are still looking for a way
            to trap this guy with a legal charge and he's not rushing in and out
            of anywhere nor hiding. Again, on the basis of this act I'd judge they
            had plenty of grounds to arrest him. I'd also judge that his known
            followers would at least be nabbed for questioning, if not arrested.
            All these crooks are on the lam after committing the crime, not walking
            around Nashua in broad daylight with a bunch of friends:)! Jesus is
            nicely moving in and out of the city and standing right out there in
            the public and challenging all sorts of folks with ties to the
            authorities.

            > So I do share some of Ernie's sentiments, when he
            > writes:
            >
            > [Ernie]
            >> Incidentally, Gordon, you have me very angry with
            >> the media for all the
            >> fiction they publish as news: Suicide bombers can't
            >> possible get past
            >> several screens of trained military on high security
            >> alert in Iraq. The
            >> IRA(?) can't possible penetrate elaborate bank
            >> security systems to abscond
            >> with umpteen million. You try it! None of this can
            >> be historic, but there
            >> was gullible old me taking it seriously.
            >
            > Maybe the above media citations are, indeed, extended
            > April Fools jokes. :)

            Well, do have a good April Fool's Day and as I wrote to Ernie, I'll
            leave such as this for you guys to ponder:)!

            > In any case, it seems very likely that Jesus could
            > have gotten away after the temple incident (assuming
            > it happened). This suggestion is one of the real
            > strengths of Fredriksen's book.

            Are you wanting to go with Fredrickson's idea that Jesus did this near
            the start of his 3 year (Johannine) career? In other words, there's
            really no arrestable offense in this? And if there were, then the
            authorities, what, just ignored it for 3 years? I'd say if it did
            happen, Paula's ideas is the least likely scenario.

            Gordon Raynal
            Inman, SC
          • Ernest Pennells
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 1 10:58 AM
              [Gordon Raynal]
              >So, in this case and as regards the coinage, Jesus was stricter in
              interpretation of the commandment about "graven images" than were the
              Pharisees?<

              Jesus' complaint is clearly articulated: "robbers cave", "wicked
              vintners" - misappropriation of the temple by a regime he unambiguously
              denounced. The coinage wasn't his primary concern, but scattering it was
              hardly an expression of approval. ISTM that the principle role of that
              coinage would have been to inhibit taking action against Jesus for his
              demonstration because - although this was undoubtedly an arrestable
              offence - the prospect of a counter charge of Torah violation about images,
              compounded by the depiction of a pagan deity, would make prosecution
              embarrassing. So, instead of promptly arresting him as soon as he had been
              identified as the culprit, they bait him on Roman tax. Having them on the
              defensive about the Tyrian shekel, Jesus presses his advantage with the
              denarius.

              As I see it, it wasn't Jesus who was troubled by these coins, but his
              adversaries.

              Regards,

              Ernie Pennells
              Samaa el Maadi Tower No 2B
              Level 12 Apartment 4
              28 Corniche el Nil
              Cairo, Egypt
              http://www.trafford.com/4dcgi/robots/03-1982.html
            • Loren Rosson
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 2 4:47 AM
                [Loren]
                >people get away with bank
                >robberies all the time -- at
                >least for a time

                [Gordon]
                >But again... what they did were crimes and
                >the police are on the hunt.
                >In the Gospels the authorities after this
                >are still looking for a way
                >to trap this guy with a legal charge and he's
                >not rushing in and out of anywhere nor hiding.

                Obviously. The point is that it would have been easy
                for Jesus to get away after raising hell with the
                money-changers, and evade capture for a time.

                >Are you wanting to go with Fredrickson's
                >idea that Jesus did this near the start
                >of his 3 year (Johannine) career? In other
                >words, there's really no arrestable
                >offense in this?

                I don't think it's necessary to endorse the Johannine
                placement of the temple incident for Fredriksen's
                point to hold. The temple incident could have happened
                hours or days before crowds and pilgrims became
                galvanized enough to attract serious attention. The
                crucial question is whether or not Caiaphas is in the
                driver's seat getting Jesus nailed. Sanders (and
                others) think this is the case -- that the high priest
                wanted Jesus dead for threatening the temple.
                Fredrisken disputes this for (a) archeological reasons
                (the size of the temple mount, especially seen in
                scale to masses of very "small" people), (b)
                historical reasons (if Pilate were just doing a favor
                for Caiaphas, it would explain Jesus being murdered,
                but not crucified), and (c) literary ones (John's
                repositioning). But no, I don't think (c) calls for
                endorsement of the way John actually places it, only
                that a strict reading of the synoptics yields
                problems. (That's old news anyway.)

                >I'd say if it did happen, Paula's
                >ideas is the least likely scenario.

                Fredrisken is convincing by drawing a strong line
                between the "triumphal entry" (or whenever during the
                crowds succumbed to messianic enthusiasm) and the
                crucifixion. She is also persuasive about the chief
                reason for Caiaphas' involvement -- helping Pilate
                pinpopint and apprehend Jesus in order to avoid wider
                bloodshed (Jn 11). I doubt, however, that Pilate
                hitherto "knew" that Jesus' movement was harmless, as
                she claims. Authorities would have been suspicious of
                any kingdom talk. Then too, there seems to have been a
                charge of sedition in the air over the question of
                taxation. Jesus' veiled transcript ("Render to
                Caesar") would have caused alarm while keeping him
                safe at the same time. And threatening the temple was
                obviously no joke, once people could identify Jesus
                and tie him to the incident. I think it's a mistake to
                look for a single reason for Jesus's execution. But it
                makes sense to distinguish between immediate reasons
                and subsequent charges (the latter of which don't
                depend on truth when enaging in a show trial as a
                preliminary to killing a low-life).

                So messianic enthusiasm is a strong candidate for the
                immediate reason for arrest and crucifixion. Charges
                of temple threats and tax evasion only sealed Jesus'
                fate, for the most part serving the purposes of a
                theatrical show trial and more public example. Those
                charges needn't have been true, though I think they
                were.

                You, however, deny all of the above three (messianinc
                enthusaism, temple incident, tax evasion) as causes
                for arrest. (Do I understand you correctly?) So how do
                **you** account for the "King of the Judeans'"
                crucifixion? Or do you?

                Loren Rosson III
                Nashua NH
                rossoiii@...

                __________________________________
                Yahoo! Messenger
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 2 6:22 AM
                  Hi Loren,
                  On Apr 2, 2005, at 7:47 AM, Loren Rosson wrote:

                  > Obviously. The point is that it would have been easy
                  > for Jesus to get away after raising hell with the
                  > money-changers, and evade capture for a time.

                  What do you think about "the pandemonium" issue? I don't know how many
                  of these coins (with the other trade ins) would be on a given table,
                  but if these very valuable coins just started rolling all over the
                  place don't you think there would be a large scramble? Such would make
                  a getaway more plausible. Any thoughts?

                  > I don't think it's necessary to endorse the Johannine
                  > placement of the temple incident for Fredriksen's
                  > point to hold.

                  Thanks for the clarification.

                  > You, however, deny all of the above three (messianinc
                  > enthusaism, temple incident, tax evasion) as causes
                  > for arrest. (Do I understand you correctly?)

                  Yes (more below).
                  > So how do
                  > **you** account for the "King of the Judeans'"
                  > crucifixion? Or do you?

                  I honestly don't know. I think "the reason(s)" he got killed was
                  because he was the recognized "voice" of "a kingdom movement" that was
                  taking root in Galilee, H. Philip's domain, Samaria and Judea
                  (including Jerusalem). But as to the precise scenario of his
                  identification at Passover time, his arrest and crucifixion I don't
                  think we have records of that, rather we have a theological (and very
                  effective one) drama that is part of a parable created by Mark. Just
                  showing up and being identified as "this guy," as far as I'm concerned,
                  is quite enough to get hauled off for official state execution by
                  tortuous means of crucifixion to send the clear message that the state
                  would in no way tolerate any other kingdom allegiances than those
                  authorized by the state. I think that this grand drama that Mark
                  creates works, as I've said, to raise up the breadth of challenges that
                  were and are in Jesus' language about "God's Kingdom." Again... the
                  whole messianic heritage as it was popularly interpreted (so often to
                  such grievous and violent ends... and I think about the time when
                  Archelaus killed 3000 of his own subjects at Passover time because of
                  fears of sedition); what was being offered by the Pharisees, by the
                  Saducees, by the Scribes; the current rulers of the Temple
                  establishment; the current jurisprudence practice of the Temple
                  leadership; the Roman system of rule, "Pax" and "law;" the mob
                  mentality and even the self-assurance of Jesus' own followers is
                  powerfully raised up as being **entirely** wanting. The Markan parable
                  works to dramatize the choice being offered and the harsh realities for
                  those in the community to live with the choice they have made. In my
                  view, Mark written after the R-J war works to show precisely just how
                  right Jesus was some 50 years earlier. Popular messianism was squashed
                  again and again. The Roman appointed Temple establishment did nothing
                  to create unity. The "law" was anything but. The Roman "Pax" was
                  murderous. The mob mentality fueled by statist notions of Covenant had
                  led to Vespasian and Titus coming and so the utter destruction that
                  ensued. And counting on "self-assurance" was a sure path to denial or
                  flight into the proverbial night. The drama, in other words, clearly
                  works to show that Jesus was correct then and still correct in Mark's
                  time. I'd like to no more historical details, but I just don't think
                  the data we have contains them. I think what we do have is **far,
                  far** more important.

                  Gordon Raynal
                  Inman, SC
                • Ernest Pennells
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 2 8:51 PM
                    [Josephus]
                    >And then it was that the sicarii, as they were called, who were robbers,
                    grew numerous. They made use of small swords, not much different in length
                    from the Persian acinacae, but somewhat crooked, and like the Roman sicae,
                    [or sickles,] as they were called; and from these weapons these robbers got
                    their denomination; and with these weapons they slew a great many; for they
                    mingled themselves among the multitude at their festivals, when they were
                    come up in crowds from all parts to the city to worship God, as we said
                    before, and easily slew those that they had a mind to slay.<

                    Is this fiction; or historical evidence that you could actually get away
                    with murder - repeatedly - in the middle of a festival crowd? The surprise
                    element still works, even when something similar has happened previously
                    (One up for GJohn).

                    Regards,

                    Ernie Pennells
                    Samaa el Maadi Tower No 2B