RE: [XTalk] Hermeneutical Skepticism: Unwarranted, (now) arguments from silence?

  • John C. Poirier
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 11, 2005
      Karel Hanhart wrote:

      > Let me clarify the difference between a bios and a haggadah
      > another way. One would not call the books of Exodus,
      > Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy a 'bios' of Moses,
      > although Moses is the protagonist in all of them. The
      > subject of the Torah is the deliverance from slavery in
      > Egypt, the establishment of the Covenant and the treck to
      > the promised land, celebrated in the Passover ritual in Egypt,
      > the Passover in the desert and the Passover under Joshua,
      > after he crossed the Jordan river. Mark begins his Haggadah
      > at the Jordan river. . . .

      But in the all important matter of how text relates to reality, Leviticus,
      Numbers, and Deuteronomy have a lot more in common with what you're calling
      a "hellenistic bios" than with your own peculiar understanding of
      "haggadah". The writers (proto-tradents), compilers, and first-century
      readers of the Torah believed that these books related actual events, and
      that they did so in plain language.

      John C. Poirier
      Middletown, Ohio