Re: [XTalk] Commentary on Eusebius?

  • Ken Olson
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 23, 2005
      Peter,

      The only one I know of is Paul Maier's translation of Eusebius' Ecclesiastical History (1999). It has brief notes throughout and may be the closest thing to a 'verse-by-verse' commentary. It's not what you'd call a 'critical' commentary though.

      These might be the closest thing:

      Barnes, Timothy D., Constantine and Eusebius (1981)

      Grant, Robert McQueen, Eusebius as Church Historian (1980)

      These are good too, but narrower in focus:

      Carriker, Andrew James, The Library of Eusebius of Caesarea (2003)

      Kofsky, Aryeh, Eusebius of Caesarea Against Paganism (2000)

      Older works in English that might still be useful include:

      Lawlor, H. J., Eusebiana: Essays on the Ecclesiastical History of Eusebius (1912)

      Stevenson, J., Studies in Eusebius (1929)

      And Averil Cameron and Stuart G. Hall's commentary on Eusebius' Life of Constantine (1999) is excellent, though not dealing with the Ecclesiastical History.

      For a fuller bibliography on Eusebius you might look at:

      http://www.earlychurch.org.uk/eusebius.html

      or Roger Pearse's page (which I suspect you already have).

      Best Wishes,

      Ken

      Kenneth A. Olson
      MA, History, University of Maryland
      PhD Student, Theology, University of Birmingham