Re: [biblical-studies] Mary Magdalene

  • Jack Kilmon
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 5, 2005
      From: "Jim West" <jwest@...>
      To: <crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com>; <biblical-studies@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Saturday, February 05, 2005 3:37 PM
      Subject: [biblical-studies] Mary Magdalene

      > I'm wondering (only because I was asked) if there is an apocryphal
      > tradition (since there is no biblical mention) which names the parents
      > of Mary Magdalene?
      >
      > Thanks
      >
      > Jim

      I don't think so, Jim. There is so little known about MM that she is
      conflated with a number of women in the NT.

      Jack
    • Joseph Weaks
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 5, 2005
        On 2/5/05 5:48 PM, "Jack Kilmon" <jkilmon@...> wrote:
        > There is so little known about Mary Magdalene that she is
        > conflated with a number of women in the NT.

        So little known about her? Why, I read a book last year that told me all
        about her, and her husband, and her descendants in France. It spoke of a
        picture of her in a painting as well.
        ;)
        Joe

        Rev. Joseph A. Weaks
        Senior Minister, Bethany Christian Church, Dallas
        Ph.D. (Cand.), Brite Divinity School, Ft. Worth
        j.weaks@...

        The Macintosh Biblioblog http://macbiblioblog.blogspot.com
        "All things Macintosh for the Bible Scholar"
      • Jack Kilmon
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 5, 2005
          >> There is so little known about Mary Magdalene that she is
          >> conflated with a number of women in the NT.
          >
          > So little known about her? Why, I read a book last year that told me all
          > about her, and her husband, and her descendants in France. It spoke of a
          > picture of her in a painting as well.
          > ;)
          > Joe

          Oh yeah, Joe. I remember now. Jesus changed his name to Je Suis and opened
          up a Sarah Lee's Pies franchise in Marseilles, right? I think they called it
          the Piery of Zion.

          Jack
        • BitsyCat1@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 5, 2005
            In a message dated 2/5/05 6:20:21 PM, jkilmon@... writes:

            > Oh yeah, Joe.  I remember now.  Jesus changed his name to Je Suis and
            > opened
            > up a Sarah Lee's Pies franchise in Marseilles, right? I think they called it
            > the Piery of Zion.

            You know, That has a nice ring to it. Perhaps someone could write a novel
            about it?

            Make some vague claims and maybe cause everyone that's serious a big
            headache.

            No, I suppose its already been done.

            Regards,
            John Moon
            Springfield,Tenn 37172

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 5, 2005

              Bob Schacht wrote:

              > At 02:39 PM 2/5/2005, Jeffrey B. Gibson wrote:
              > >I've just had a quick scan of Jane Schaberg's _The Resurrection of Mary
              > >Magdalene:
              > >Legends, Apocrypha, and the Christian Testament_, which seems to be the most
              > >authoritative book on MM out there, and there doesn't seem to have been
              > >anyone,
              > >including the Gnostics and the medieval hagiographers, who cared to tell
              > >us/produce anything about MM's parents.
              > >
              > >Now mind you my scan was hurried, so I may have missed something..
              >
              > Well, if that book was focused on the *Resurrection of MM*, maybe her
              > parentage was moot.

              Resurrection is being used in the title as a cipher for renewed interest in MM and
              her being brought forward after years of neglect as a prominent figure of study..

              > How about Karen King's book on the Gospel of Mary?

              Haven't looked at it.

              Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)

              1500 W. Pratt Blvd. #1
              Chicago, IL 60626