Re: [XTalk] Jesus in Film

  • Asegal@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 4, 2005
      The article pays scant attention to one of the most interesting treatments
      of Jesus on Film--namely, THE GOSPEL OF JOHN. That is the only film to
      attempt to get at the gospel's own language and style of presentation and it is a
      word for word rendering. I would encourage the writer to treat this important
      film before I would buy his book.

      Best,

      AFSeg./

      In a message dated 2/4/2005 2:52:32 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      jefferyhodges@... writes:

      I recall that someone on this list has an interest in
      the portrayal of Jesus in film. (Perhaps several of
      you do.)

      Anyway, Christianity Today has a chapter posted online
      from S. Brent Plate, ed., Re-Viewing the Passion
      (Palgrave Macmillan, 2004). The chapter is by Peter T.
      Chattaway, and is titled "Come and See."

      Click here to go and see "Come and See":

      http://www.christianitytoday.com/movies/commentaries/comeandsee.html

      I haven't yet read it, so I have no comments...

      Jeffery Hodges

      =====
      University Degrees:

      Ph.D., History, U.C. Berkeley
      M.A., History of Science, U.C. Berkeley

      Email Address:

      jefferyhodges@...

      Office Address:

      Korea University
      136-701 Anam-dong, Seongbuk-gu
      Seoul
      South Korea

      Home Address:

      Seo-Dong 125-2
      Shin-Dong-A, Apt. 102-709
      447-710 Kyunggido, Osan-City
      South Korea

      Would you Help a Child in need?
      It is easier than you think.
      Click Here to meet a Child you can help.
      _Click Here!_ (http://us.click.yahoo.com/O2aXmA/I_qJAA/i1hLAA/wpWolB/TM)

      List managers may be contacted directly at: crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com

      Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Mark Goodacre
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 7, 2005
        Alan,

        I took a look a the book from which this piece comes, Re-Viewing the
        Passion, and the Gospel of John does get one mention, in Amy-Jill
        Levine's essay (pp. 141-2). Chattaway himself has commented in
        various places on the Gospel of John, though, so his omission in this
        article is not through ignorance. I agree, though, that it would be
        good to see more critical engagement with The Gospel of John.

        Mark

        On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 21:27:33 -0800 (PST), Asegal@... <Asegal@...> wrote:

        > The article pays scant attention to one of the most interesting treatments
        > of Jesus on Film--namely, THE GOSPEL OF JOHN. That is the only film to
        > attempt to get at the gospel's own language and style of presentation and it is a
        > word for word rendering. I would encourage the writer to treat this important
        > film before I would buy his book.
        >
        > Best,
        >
        > AFSeg./
        >
        > In a message dated 2/4/2005 2:52:32 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
        > jefferyhodges@... writes:
        >
        > I recall that someone on this list has an interest in
        > the portrayal of Jesus in film. (Perhaps several of
        > you do.)
        >
        > Anyway, Christianity Today has a chapter posted online
        > from S. Brent Plate, ed., Re-Viewing the Passion
        > (Palgrave Macmillan, 2004). The chapter is by Peter T.
        > Chattaway, and is titled "Come and See."
        >
        > Click here to go and see "Come and See":
        >
        > http://www.christianitytoday.com/movies/commentaries/comeandsee.html
        >
        > I haven't yet read it, so I have no comments...
        >
        > Jeffery Hodges
        >
        > =====
        > University Degrees:
        >
        > Ph.D., History, U.C. Berkeley
        > (Doctoral Thesis: "Food as Synecdoche in John's Gospel and Gnostic Texts")
        >
        > Email Address:
        >
        > jefferyhodges@...
        >
        > Office Address:

        > Department of English Language and Literature
        > Korea University
        > 136-701 Anam-dong, Seongbuk-gu
        > Seoul
        > South Korea
        >
        > Home Address:

        > Seo-Dong 125-2
        > Shin-Dong-A, Apt. 102-709
        > 447-710 Kyunggido, Osan-City
        > South Korea

        > crosstalk2-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

        > List managers may be contacted directly at: crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com

        > List managers may be contacted directly at: crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com

        Dept of Theology and Religion
        University of Birmingham
        Elmfield House, Selly Oak tel.+44 121 414 7512
        Birmingham B29 6LQ UK fax: +44 121 415 8376

        http://www.theology.bham.ac.uk/goodacre
        http://NTGateway.com
      • Asegal@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 7, 2005
          Well, I'm not sure that excuses it. It's still "scant attention," as I
          mentioned.

          Best,

          Alan

          wrote:

          > The article pays scant attention to one of the most interesting treatments
          > of Jesus on Film--namely, THE GOSPEL OF JOHN. That is the only film to
          > attempt to get at the gospel's own language and style of presentation and
          it is a
          > word for word rendering. I would encourage the writer to treat this
          important
          > film before I would buy his book.
          >
          > Best,
          >
          > AFSeg./
          >
          > In a message dated 2/4/2005 2:52:32 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
          > jefferyhodges@... writes:
          >
          > I recall that someone on this list has an interest in
          > the portrayal of Jesus in film. (Perhaps several of
          > you do.)
          >
          > Anyway, Christianity Today has a chapter posted online
          > from S. Brent Plate, ed., Re-Viewing the Passion
          > (Palgrave Macmillan, 2004). The chapter is by Peter T.
          > Chattaway, and is titled "Come and See."
          >
          > Click here to go and see "Come and See":
          >
          > http://www.christianitytoday.com/movies/commentaries/comeandsee.html
          >
          > I haven't yet read it, so I have no comments...
          >
          > Jeffery Hodges
          >
          > =====
          > University Degrees:
          >
          > Ph.D., History, U.C. Berkeley
          > (Doctoral Thesis: "Food as Synecdoche in John's Gospel and Gnostic
          Texts")

          > Email Address:
          >
          > jefferyhodges@...
          >
          > Office Address:

          > Department of English Language and Literature
          > Korea University
          > 136-701 Anam-dong, Seongbuk-gu
          > Seoul
          > South Korea
          >
          > Home Address:

          > Seo-Dong 125-2
          > Shin-Dong-A, Apt. 102-709
          > 447-710 Kyunggido, Osan-City
          > South Korea

          > crosstalk2-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

          > List managers may be contacted directly at:
          crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com

          crosstalk2-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

          > List managers may be contacted directly at:
          crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com

          Dept of Theology and Religion
          University of Birmingham
          Elmfield House, Selly Oak tel.+44 121 414 7512
          Birmingham B29 6LQ UK fax: +44 121 415 8376

          http://www.theology.bham.ac.uk/goodacre
          http://NTGateway.com

          Would you Help a Child in need?
          It is easier than you think.
          Click Here to meet a Child you can help.
          _Click Here!_ (http://us.click.yahoo.com/O2aXmA/I_qJAA/i1hLAA/wpWolB/TM)

          List managers may be contacted directly at: crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          Alan F. Segal
          Professor of Religion
          Ingeborg Rennert Professor of Jewish Studies
          Barnard College, Columbia University
          3009 Broadway
          219 Milbank Hall
          New York City NY 10027-6598