Re: [XTalk] Jesus in Film

  • Horace Jeffery Hodges
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 4, 2005
      I recall that someone on this list has an interest in
      the portrayal of Jesus in film. (Perhaps several of
      you do.)

      Anyway, Christianity Today has a chapter posted online
      from S. Brent Plate, ed., Re-Viewing the Passion
      (Palgrave Macmillan, 2004). The chapter is by Peter T.
      Chattaway, and is titled "Come and See."

      Click here to go and see "Come and See":

      http://www.christianitytoday.com/movies/commentaries/comeandsee.html

      I haven't yet read it, so I have no comments...

      Jeffery Hodges

      =====
      University Degrees:

      Ph.D., History, U.C. Berkeley
      M.A., History of Science, U.C. Berkeley

      Email Address:

      jefferyhodges@...

      Office Address:

      Korea University
      136-701 Anam-dong, Seongbuk-gu
      Seoul
      South Korea

      Home Address:

      Seo-Dong 125-2
      Shin-Dong-A, Apt. 102-709
      447-710 Kyunggido, Osan-City
      South Korea
    • Asegal@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 4, 2005
        The article pays scant attention to one of the most interesting treatments
        of Jesus on Film--namely, THE GOSPEL OF JOHN. That is the only film to
        attempt to get at the gospel's own language and style of presentation and it is a
        word for word rendering. I would encourage the writer to treat this important
        film before I would buy his book.

        Best,

        AFSeg./

        In a message dated 2/4/2005 2:52:32 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
        jefferyhodges@... writes:

[...]

        Would you Help a Child in need?
        It is easier than you think.
        Click Here to meet a Child you can help.
        _Click Here!_ (http://us.click.yahoo.com/O2aXmA/I_qJAA/i1hLAA/wpWolB/TM)

        List managers may be contacted directly at: crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Mark Goodacre
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 7, 2005
          Alan,

          I took a look a the book from which this piece comes, Re-Viewing the
          Passion, and the Gospel of John does get one mention, in Amy-Jill
          Levine's essay (pp. 141-2). Chattaway himself has commented in
          various places on the Gospel of John, though, so his omission in this
          article is not through ignorance. I agree, though, that it would be
          good to see more critical engagement with The Gospel of John.

          Mark

          On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 21:27:33 -0800 (PST), Asegal@... <Asegal@...> wrote:

          > The article pays scant attention to one of the most interesting treatments
          > of Jesus on Film--namely, THE GOSPEL OF JOHN. That is the only film to
          > attempt to get at the gospel's own language and style of presentation and it is a
          > word for word rendering. I would encourage the writer to treat this important
          > film before I would buy his book.
          >
          > Best,
          >
          > AFSeg./
          >
          > In a message dated 2/4/2005 2:52:32 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
          > jefferyhodges@... writes:
          >
          > I recall that someone on this list has an interest in
          > the portrayal of Jesus in film. (Perhaps several of
          > you do.)
          >
          > Anyway, Christianity Today has a chapter posted online
          > from S. Brent Plate, ed., Re-Viewing the Passion
          > (Palgrave Macmillan, 2004). The chapter is by Peter T.
          > Chattaway, and is titled "Come and See."
          >
          > Click here to go and see "Come and See":
          >
          > http://www.christianitytoday.com/movies/commentaries/comeandsee.html
          >
          > I haven't yet read it, so I have no comments...
          >
          > Jeffery Hodges
          >
          > =====
          > University Degrees:
          >
          > Ph.D., History, U.C. Berkeley
          > (Doctoral Thesis: "Food as Synecdoche in John's Gospel and Gnostic Texts")
          >
          > Email Address:
          >
          > jefferyhodges@...
          >
          > Office Address:

          > Department of English Language and Literature
          > Korea University
          > 136-701 Anam-dong, Seongbuk-gu
          > Seoul
          > South Korea
          >
          > Home Address:

          > Seo-Dong 125-2
          > Shin-Dong-A, Apt. 102-709
          > 447-710 Kyunggido, Osan-City
          > South Korea

          > crosstalk2-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

          > List managers may be contacted directly at: crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com

          > List managers may be contacted directly at: crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com

          Dept of Theology and Religion
          University of Birmingham
          Elmfield House, Selly Oak tel.+44 121 414 7512
          Birmingham B29 6LQ UK fax: +44 121 415 8376

          http://www.theology.bham.ac.uk/goodacre
          http://NTGateway.com
        • Asegal@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 7, 2005
            Well, I'm not sure that excuses it. It's still "scant attention," as I
            mentioned.

            Best,

            Alan

            wrote:

            > The article pays scant attention to one of the most interesting treatments
            > of Jesus on Film--namely, THE GOSPEL OF JOHN. That is the only film to
            > attempt to get at the gospel's own language and style of presentation and
            it is a
            > word for word rendering. I would encourage the writer to treat this
            important
            > film before I would buy his book.
            >
            > Best,
            >
            > AFSeg./
            >
            > In a message dated 2/4/2005 2:52:32 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
            > jefferyhodges@... writes:
            >
            > I recall that someone on this list has an interest in
            > the portrayal of Jesus in film. (Perhaps several of
            > you do.)
            >
            > Anyway, Christianity Today has a chapter posted online
            > from S. Brent Plate, ed., Re-Viewing the Passion
            > (Palgrave Macmillan, 2004). The chapter is by Peter T.
            > Chattaway, and is titled "Come and See."
            >
            > Click here to go and see "Come and See":
            >
            > http://www.christianitytoday.com/movies/commentaries/comeandsee.html
            >
            > I haven't yet read it, so I have no comments...
            >
            > Jeffery Hodges
            >
            > =====
            > University Degrees:
            >
            > Ph.D., History, U.C. Berkeley
            > (Doctoral Thesis: "Food as Synecdoche in John's Gospel and Gnostic
            Texts")

            > Email Address:
            >
            > jefferyhodges@...
            >
            > Office Address:

            > Department of English Language and Literature
            > Korea University
            > 136-701 Anam-dong, Seongbuk-gu
            > Seoul
            > South Korea
            >
            > Home Address:

            > Seo-Dong 125-2
            > Shin-Dong-A, Apt. 102-709
            > 447-710 Kyunggido, Osan-City
            > South Korea

            > crosstalk2-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

            > List managers may be contacted directly at:
            crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com

            crosstalk2-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

            > List managers may be contacted directly at:
            crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com

            Dept of Theology and Religion
            University of Birmingham
            Elmfield House, Selly Oak tel.+44 121 414 7512
            Birmingham B29 6LQ UK fax: +44 121 415 8376

            http://www.theology.bham.ac.uk/goodacre
            http://NTGateway.com

            Would you Help a Child in need?
            It is easier than you think.
            Click Here to meet a Child you can help.
            _Click Here!_ (http://us.click.yahoo.com/O2aXmA/I_qJAA/i1hLAA/wpWolB/TM)

            List managers may be contacted directly at: crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            Alan F. Segal
            Professor of Religion
            Ingeborg Rennert Professor of Jewish Studies
            Barnard College, Columbia University
            3009 Broadway
            219 Milbank Hall
            New York City NY 10027-6598