OFF topic: Ideal NT introduction

    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 4, 2005
      Forgive the off topic nature of this question, but I'd be very
      interested to hear your answers to the following question:

      If you were able to construct an Introduction to the NT for
      undergraduates, what would you place in it.  How would it differ from
      those that are currently on the market?

      Please reply OFF LIST to me at jgibson000@....

      Yours,

      Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)

      1500 W. Pratt Blvd. #1
      Chicago, IL 60626

      jgibson000@...

    • John C. Poirier
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 4, 2005
        Jeffrey,

        You asked for an off-list response, but one improvement over existing
        introductions should be aired ON list: How about a summary of the synoptic
        problem that isn't fifty years out-of-date, that is, one that at least
        understands that the argument from the Markan mediation of wording and order
        does not imply Markan temporal or genetic priority? (Koester, Ehrman, and
        Schnelle all write as if Butler never disproved this.)

        There are other improvements that could also be made relative to the
        synoptic problem, but it depends on far in depth you want to go on that.

        John C. Poirier
        Middletown, Ohio

        Forgive the off topic nature of this question, but I'd be very
        interested to hear your answers to the following question:

        If you were able to construct an Introduction to the NT for
        undergraduates, what would you place in it.  How would it differ from
        those that are currently on the market?

        Please reply OFF LIST to me at jgibson000@....

        Yours,

        Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)

        1500 W. Pratt Blvd. #1
        Chicago, IL 60626

        jgibson000@...

        crosstalk2-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

        List managers may be contacted directly at:
        crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Ernest Pennells
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 5, 2005
          [John C. Poirier]
          >the argument from the Markan mediation of wording and order does not imply
          Markan temporal or genetic priority?<

          My dream is that somebody might pick up John Poirier's point (among others)
          and ask that academia cease laying the shaky foundation of Markan priority.

          Regards,

          Ernie Pennells
          Apartment 4, Level 12, Samaa El Maadi Tower No 2B,
          28 Corniche El Nil, Cairo, Egypt
          Tel: (20-2) 526 6383
        • Jack Kilmon
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 5, 2005
            >>the argument from the Markan mediation of wording and order does not imply
            > Markan temporal or genetic priority?<
            >
            > My dream is that somebody might pick up John Poirier's point (among
            > others)
            > and ask that academia cease laying the shaky foundation of Markan
            > priority.
            >
            > Regards,
            >
            > Ernie Pennells
            > Apartment 4, Level 12, Samaa El Maadi Tower No 2B,
            > 28 Corniche El Nil, Cairo, Egypt
            > Tel: (20-2) 526 6383

            I have read all of the various convoluted arguments and just cannot get past
            one simple feature....Matthew copied Mark and Luke copied Mark. That aint
            shakey.

            Jack

            Jack Kilmon
            San Marcos, Texas
          • Ernest Pennells
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 6, 2005
              [Jack Kilmon]
              >I have read all of the various convoluted arguments and just cannot get
              past
              one simple feature....Matthew copied Mark and Luke copied Mark. That aint
              shakey.<

              Oh darn! My dream is developing into a nightmare.

              Regards,

              Ernie Pennells
              Apartment 4, Level 12, Samaa El Maadi Tower No 2B,
              28 Corniche El Nil, Cairo, Egypt
              Tel: (20-2) 526 6383
            • Horace Jeffery Hodges
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 6, 2005
                My ideal New Testament introduction on CD would
                include tours of heaven and hell. I'd like to see the
                various understandings of the afterlife and the cosmic
                architecture that shows the positions of various
                afterlifes in the larger scheme of things.

                Jeffery Hodges

                =====
                University Degrees:

                Ph.D., History, U.C. Berkeley
                M.A., History of Science, U.C. Berkeley

                Email Address:

                jefferyhodges@...

                Office Address:

                Korea University
                136-701 Anam-dong, Seongbuk-gu
                Seoul
                South Korea

                Home Address:

                Seo-Dong 125-2
                Shin-Dong-A, Apt. 102-709
                447-710 Kyunggido, Osan-City
                South Korea
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 6, 2005

                  Horace Jeffery Hodges wrote:

                  > My ideal New Testament introduction on CD would
                  > include tours of heaven and hell. I'd like to see the
                  > various understandings of the afterlife and the cosmic
                  > architecture that shows the positions of various
                  > afterlifes in the larger scheme of things.

                  An excellent idea!  Not only the physical world of the NT but the "metaphysical"
                  one as well

                  Sort of like what _The World of Athens_ has (in text, of course).

                  So .. what other suggestions do List Members have?

                  What is NOT in standard intros that you have to supplement when you teach a NT
                  intro class?

                  Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)

                  1500 W. Pratt Blvd. #1
                  Chicago, IL 60626