OFF TOPIC: Anecdotes

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 4, 2005
      At the last SBL, while listening intently to Earl Ellis and Donald
      Hagner reminisce about their teachers, it struck me that it might be fun
      to put together a book of anecdotes on the "greats" whom we have know
      and at whose feet we sat as students.

      So I'm soliciting anecdotes about things your teachers did or said that
      reveals their character and personality or is just memorable in some
      way.

      As an example, there is the story about A.D. Nock who used to work in
      his study in the nude.  One day the cleaning lady came in and discovered
      Nock in the buff.  She exclaimed "Good God!.  And Nock replied "No,
      madame, just  one of his humble, obedient servants".

      I'd be grateful if you'd send me OFF LIST your tales of, and memories
      about, your teachers.

      Yours,

      Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)

      1500 W. Pratt Blvd. #1
      Chicago, IL 60626

      jgibson000@...

    • Horace Jeffery Hodges
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 4, 2005
        I recall that someone on this list has an interest in
        the portrayal of Jesus in film. (Perhaps several of
        you do.)

        Anyway, Christianity Today has a chapter posted online
        from S. Brent Plate, ed., Re-Viewing the Passion
        (Palgrave Macmillan, 2004). The chapter is by Peter T.
        Chattaway, and is titled "Come and See."

        Click here to go and see "Come and See":

        http://www.christianitytoday.com/movies/commentaries/comeandsee.html

        I haven't yet read it, so I have no comments...

        Jeffery Hodges

        =====
        University Degrees:

        Ph.D., History, U.C. Berkeley
        M.A., History of Science, U.C. Berkeley

        Email Address:

        jefferyhodges@...

        Office Address:

        Korea University
        136-701 Anam-dong, Seongbuk-gu
        Seoul
        South Korea

        Home Address:

        Seo-Dong 125-2
        Shin-Dong-A, Apt. 102-709
        447-710 Kyunggido, Osan-City
        South Korea
      • Asegal@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 4, 2005
          The article pays scant attention to one of the most interesting treatments
          of Jesus on Film--namely, THE GOSPEL OF JOHN. That is the only film to
          attempt to get at the gospel's own language and style of presentation and it is a
          word for word rendering. I would encourage the writer to treat this important
          film before I would buy his book.

          Best,

          AFSeg./

          In a message dated 2/4/2005 2:52:32 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
          jefferyhodges@... writes:

[...]

          Would you Help a Child in need?
          It is easier than you think.
          Click Here to meet a Child you can help.
          _Click Here!_ (http://us.click.yahoo.com/O2aXmA/I_qJAA/i1hLAA/wpWolB/TM)

          List managers may be contacted directly at: crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Mark Goodacre
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 7, 2005
            Alan,

            I took a look a the book from which this piece comes, Re-Viewing the
            Passion, and the Gospel of John does get one mention, in Amy-Jill
            Levine's essay (pp. 141-2). Chattaway himself has commented in
            various places on the Gospel of John, though, so his omission in this
            article is not through ignorance. I agree, though, that it would be
            good to see more critical engagement with The Gospel of John.

            Mark

            On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 21:27:33 -0800 (PST), Asegal@... <Asegal@...> wrote:

            > The article pays scant attention to one of the most interesting treatments
            > of Jesus on Film--namely, THE GOSPEL OF JOHN. That is the only film to
            > attempt to get at the gospel's own language and style of presentation and it is a
            > word for word rendering. I would encourage the writer to treat this important
            > film before I would buy his book.
            >
            > Best,
            >
            > AFSeg./
            >
            > In a message dated 2/4/2005 2:52:32 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
            > jefferyhodges@... writes:
            >
            > I recall that someone on this list has an interest in
            > the portrayal of Jesus in film. (Perhaps several of
            > you do.)
            >
            > Anyway, Christianity Today has a chapter posted online
            > from S. Brent Plate, ed., Re-Viewing the Passion
            > (Palgrave Macmillan, 2004). The chapter is by Peter T.
            > Chattaway, and is titled "Come and See."
            >
            > Click here to go and see "Come and See":
            >
            > http://www.christianitytoday.com/movies/commentaries/comeandsee.html
            >
            > I haven't yet read it, so I have no comments...
            >
            > Jeffery Hodges
            >
            > =====
            > University Degrees:
            >
            > Ph.D., History, U.C. Berkeley
            > (Doctoral Thesis: "Food as Synecdoche in John's Gospel and Gnostic Texts")
            >
            > Email Address:
            >
            > jefferyhodges@...
            >
            > Office Address:

            > Department of English Language and Literature
            > Korea University
            > 136-701 Anam-dong, Seongbuk-gu
            > Seoul
            > South Korea
            >
            > Home Address:

            > Seo-Dong 125-2
            > Shin-Dong-A, Apt. 102-709
            > 447-710 Kyunggido, Osan-City
            > South Korea

            > crosstalk2-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

            > List managers may be contacted directly at: crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com

            > List managers may be contacted directly at: crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com

            Dept of Theology and Religion
            University of Birmingham
            Elmfield House, Selly Oak tel.+44 121 414 7512
            Birmingham B29 6LQ UK fax: +44 121 415 8376

            http://www.theology.bham.ac.uk/goodacre
            http://NTGateway.com
          • Asegal@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 7, 2005
              Well, I'm not sure that excuses it. It's still "scant attention," as I
              mentioned.

              Best,

              Alan

              wrote:

              > The article pays scant attention to one of the most interesting treatments
              > of Jesus on Film--namely, THE GOSPEL OF JOHN. That is the only film to
              > attempt to get at the gospel's own language and style of presentation and
              it is a
              > word for word rendering. I would encourage the writer to treat this
              important
              > film before I would buy his book.
              >
              > Best,
              >
              > AFSeg./
              >
              > In a message dated 2/4/2005 2:52:32 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
              > jefferyhodges@... writes:
              >
              > I recall that someone on this list has an interest in
              > the portrayal of Jesus in film. (Perhaps several of
              > you do.)
              >
              > Anyway, Christianity Today has a chapter posted online
              > from S. Brent Plate, ed., Re-Viewing the Passion
              > (Palgrave Macmillan, 2004). The chapter is by Peter T.
              > Chattaway, and is titled "Come and See."
              >
              > Click here to go and see "Come and See":
              >
              > http://www.christianitytoday.com/movies/commentaries/comeandsee.html
              >
              > I haven't yet read it, so I have no comments...
              >
              > Jeffery Hodges
              >
              > =====
              > University Degrees:
              >
              > Ph.D., History, U.C. Berkeley
              > (Doctoral Thesis: "Food as Synecdoche in John's Gospel and Gnostic
              Texts")

              > Email Address:
              >
              > jefferyhodges@...
              >
              > Office Address:

              > Department of English Language and Literature
              > Korea University
              > 136-701 Anam-dong, Seongbuk-gu
              > Seoul
              > South Korea
              >
              > Home Address:

              > Seo-Dong 125-2
              > Shin-Dong-A, Apt. 102-709
              > 447-710 Kyunggido, Osan-City
              > South Korea

              > crosstalk2-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

              > List managers may be contacted directly at:
              crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com

              crosstalk2-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

              > List managers may be contacted directly at:
              crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com

              Dept of Theology and Religion
              University of Birmingham
              Elmfield House, Selly Oak tel.+44 121 414 7512
              Birmingham B29 6LQ UK fax: +44 121 415 8376

              http://www.theology.bham.ac.uk/goodacre
              http://NTGateway.com

              Would you Help a Child in need?
              It is easier than you think.
              Click Here to meet a Child you can help.
              _Click Here!_ (http://us.click.yahoo.com/O2aXmA/I_qJAA/i1hLAA/wpWolB/TM)

              List managers may be contacted directly at: crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              Alan F. Segal
              Professor of Religion
              Ingeborg Rennert Professor of Jewish Studies
              Barnard College, Columbia University
              3009 Broadway
              219 Milbank Hall
              New York City NY 10027-6598