Re: Two Jesuses: the Provocative Parallels

  • fellows_richard
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 31, 2005
      Ted,

      I agree that there are close parallels between the stories of Jesus
      of Nazareth and the story of Jesus, son of Ananias(_J.W._, VI. 300-
      309). It seems plausible that the later Jesus was an imitator of the
      earlier Jesus, and took his name. This would account for the
      similarities in the stories, and might also account for some
      differences. Jesus, son of Ananias, endlessly repeated the same
      phrase, "Woe, woe to Jerusalem" which sounds very much like the act
      of a mimic who simply repeated the words of his predecessor. Such a
      person would be no great threat to the establishment and might well
      be considered a mad man and released by Albinus.

      I am suggesting that Jesus, son of Ananias, was influenced by Jesus
      of Nazareth. You did not consider this option in your original post
      (#12940), Ted, so I would be interested in your thoughts. If my
      suggestion is correct, Josephus's story of Jesus, son of Ananias,
      provides an independent account of how Jesus of Nazareth was
      remembered in the 60's.

      Richard.