RE: [XTalk] Alexander and the Great Banquet

  • Ernest Pennells
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 29, 2005
      [Ken Olson]
      >I think it's a version of a common folktale.<

      Thanks, Ken. The question then becomes whether its provenance predates
      Jesus. It has always struck me as odd that those who are most sceptical
      about the historical content of the gospels often highlight aphorisms as key
      elements for accessing HJ. Isn't one of the fundamental characteristics of
      material of that ilk that it is non-attributable? If the tradition took
      shape by a process of creating anecdotes about acts of HJ from sacred
      literature, those who wanted to compile a compendium of his wise and pithy
      sayings could have a field day with folkloric material. But I guess I
      should pay closer attention to the Jesus Seminar debate before sounding off
      on this front. Hey!, maybe Q was a selection panel that pioneered the
      criteria of embarrassment ... ...

      Whimsically yours,

      Ernie Pennells
      Apartment 4, Level 12, Samaa El Maadi Tower No 2B,
      28 Corniche El Nil, Cairo, Egypt
      Tel: (20-2) 526 6383